D&D 5E Favorite Unusual Races/Lineages

Arilyn

Hero
Honest question for anyone who has answered: Have you actually played a campaign with all the races you have answered with?

I was about to answer the question, and then found myself saying, well, I have never really played a tortle before, but I have made a character. (Just in case I get the chance! ;) )
Yes to Changeling, Kalashtar, Eladrin and Firbolg. No tortle yet, alas.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Honest question for anyone who has answered: Have you actually played a campaign with all the races you have answered with?

I was about to answer the question, and then found myself saying, well, I have never really played a tortle before, but I have made a character. (Just in case I get the chance! ;) )
I've played a (fire) genasi.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover

I’ve played most of the races that I listed, including a Tortle.

She was an old and grizzled Artillerist Artificer named Bakara and I played her a bit like a Krogan from Mass Effect, liking to create weapons and tanks while having some magical capabilities. She also attached her eldritch cannons onto her back like a blastoise.

She was a secondary character in one of my groups big campaign so she didn’t get to shine as much as my Thri-Kreen Artificer (I really like Artificers). I still had fun with her though and would like to recreate her again.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
Grung - scout rogue, currently level 5 in a campaign
Minotaur - 4e paladin, played from level 1 to 30.
Tortle - storm cleric, rocked around Chult for a few levels.
Gnoll - ranger, levels 1-8 out of the Abyss.

Next character might be a Yuan-ti warlock? I would have played it in my current game, except the module title clearly implied that the big bad would likely be snake-men or similar, and I don't like stealing the DM's thunder.

Last edited:

Githzerai - only if psionics are in play
Warforged - not of the Eberron variety specifically; I just like the concept of a sentient machine in a fantasy setting. I had a 2E character that was inspired by the Clockwork Swordsman monster.
Kenku - birds are cool.
Djinn - genasi are neat too, but I liked genies first.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Gnome: Yep. I've played one, played alongside one, and DMed for a player that played one.
Warforged: Also yes. I've DMed for one, but haven't yet played as one. (Although I have made a lot of Warforged characters that I would readily play if given the opportunity.)
Lizardfolk: No, actually. Again, I have created multiple characters of this race that I would readily play if I wasn't the Forever DM, but I haven't played as one, with one, or DMed for one in any of my campaigns so far.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I've always severely gravitated towards pretty conventional races. I'd say a solid 75% of my characters were either humans or dwarves. The only unusual race I've enjoyed and came back to several time is Lizardfolk. Can't really find a logical reasoning, but I think they're awesome. Led me to make some pretty rash and event-provoking decisions because they're so feral and instinct-driven.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases