Fell Scorn pact boon missing from the Dark Sun book?

Dragonblade

Adventurer
So I have the Dark Sun book but it doesn't detail the Fell Scorn pact boon for Sorcerer-King pact warlocks. It just talks about how you spend it or regain it but it doesn't say what it does when you use it.

Certain warlock powers in the book give additional benefits if you have the Fell Scorn pact boon, but the actual power itself is not described anywhere in the book that I can see. Am I missing it or is there errata somewhere?

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Those power benefits are what it does. You spend it to enhance some of your powers; you regain it when a cursed creature dies.

Thats it?! The Fey pact lets you teleport everytime a cursed enemy dies, the infernal pact gives you temp hitpoints, but the SK pact only gives you a benefit when you use certain powers?

That seems underpowered compared to the other pacts that give you benefits regardless of what other powers you may choose to use.

Thats it?! The Fey pact lets you teleport everytime a cursed enemy dies, the infernal pact gives you temp hitpoints, but the SK pact only gives you a benefit when you use certain powers?

That seems underpowered compared to the other pacts that give you benefits regardless of what other powers you may choose to use.
What's missing from this equation is whether or not the Sorcerer-King pact power benefit is more powerful than the average power benefit from a pact.

As an aside, I sorta suspect that designing for Warlocks will remain a problem all the way up until 5E. Every other class has builds, but Warlocks have pacts, and arguably also have a much broader range of concepts to build (pacts) upon than other classes have upon which to create builds.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Except that even the Hand of Blight at-will power already has an Fell Scorn augment - dealing +1d8 damage, which means you always benefit from it (since HoB is hardlocked into a warlock with Fell Scorn). Considering HoB already is a rather decent power, that's not shabby at all. Having more powers that benefit too, is just extra gravy on top.

Cheers, LT.

erf_beto

First Post
So, Hand of Blight deals 1d8+mod, +1d8 curse, +1d8 fell scorn.

3d8+mod at-will that's bound to kill your cursed target and so recover your fell scorn so you can rinse-repeat?

Where do I sign? ;)

Pickles JG

First Post
So, Hand of Blight deals 1d8+mod, +1d8 curse, +1d8 fell scorn.

3d8+mod at-will that's bound to kill your cursed target and so recover your fell scorn so you can rinse-repeat?

Where do I sign? ;)

You misssed the feat that gives an extra d6 psychic(IIRC) curse damage for this pact - presumably also boosted to a d8. Not bad for an at `will...

Dice4Hire

First Post
I am glad I read this thread before I got my book, as it is very unclear in the book.

A single sentence or so would have made this a lot clearer.

It is nice to see Wizards stretching the envelope a bit though.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
It took me a little bit to figure out exactly how it worked too. It does feel like there's something missing from the pact. Other pacts' theme powers all have constant on riders as well as effects for time your boon triggers. SK pact powers only get their riders when you expend your fell scorn. And the boon effect? You get to use your fel scorn again. In a big fight you can get a lot of use out of it, but in a solo fight, it looks pretty weak. The at will is pretty impressive at first glance. I'm not versed enough on warlocks to judge the other power riders though.

Remove ads