Finally, the Fighter can both Stunt and Hit

mlund

First Post
At least the Slayer, Sharpshooter, and the Duelist can. I think I'm in love with the Jab and Snap Shot Combat Maneuvers. Here's how you get to improvise the stunt system in the middle of a battle and still follow on for an attack of some kind. The Specialties in Two-Weapon Fighting or Archery are nice options to split your attacks as well.

Well played!

- Marty Lund

Li Shenron

Legend
I think the new and current Fighter looks great.

It's both really effective and versatile, and has enough uniqueness to provide a reason to stay single-class if you want (better combat superiority dice by level + additional abilities at higher levels).

There is only one drawback: that as it looks now the minimum complexity is definitely higher than it has ever been, so those iconic casual players that are supposed to be able only to attack-and-damage are going to need some more thinking. But I don't see it as a problem for our games.

Baileyborough

First Post
I quite like the new Fighter mechanic - it seems like a nice way to have more going on that usual for the fighter. But one thing that confuses me is "Precise Shot".

According to the packet you can add the bonus from the expertise die to the attack roll.

Target is 1/2 cover - max bonus is +2
Target is 3/4 cover - max bonus is +5.

Maybe it's just me but this makes no sense in my head - is this just a typo and should this be the other way round?

Teataine

Explorer
I quite like the new Fighter mechanic - it seems like a nice way to have more going on that usual for the fighter. But one thing that confuses me is "Precise Shot".

According to the packet you can add the bonus from the expertise die to the attack roll.

Target is 1/2 cover - max bonus is +2
Target is 3/4 cover - max bonus is +5.

Maybe it's just me but this makes no sense in my head - is this just a typo and should this be the other way round?
I was slightly confused by it, too, but it actually makes sense in relation to how cover works.

If it was the other way around, it would mean Archers would be actually better at shooting at people in cover compared to shooting at people out in the open which really doesn't make sense.

As it stands, half-cover gives +2AC and 3/4 cover gives +5 AC. So Precise Shot gives you a chance to negate the enemy's bonus from cover, but not go beyond it.

I could easily see it houseruled to "Expend an expertise die to negate the target's AC bonus from cover.". It would be slightly more powerful but not by much.

DogBackward

First Post
Honestly, "Precise Shot" should just say "You reduce their cover bonus to AC by the amount rolled on your expertise die." Much simpler and easier to understand.

Baileyborough

First Post
Ok, that makes more sense I guess. It definitely didn't seem that clear when I read it.

My understanding was that the bonus on your die was better if the char was more covered.

Not to worry. They just need to do some re-phrasing.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
There is only one drawback: that as it looks now the minimum complexity is definitely higher than it has ever been, so those iconic casual players that are supposed to be able only to attack-and-damage are going to need some more thinking.

Those who want to play extremely simple fighters can just always add their combat superiority dice to damage and ignore the other options.

nightwalker450

First Post
I like the fighter setup, I just wish they would have had expertise dice refresh at the end of your turn instead of at the beginning.

At the beginning, means you have to decide whether to save dice (that you might not even use) for off turn reactions. If they did it at the end of the turn, you could use them for reactions if the opportunity presented itself, and burn whatever was left during your turn.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases