• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First Drow, now Kuo-toa. Darn you FR!!

Mista Collins

First Post
Oh I cannot wait for this book to hit the shelves. Leopold, you said your players just finished book II in the Night Below campaign. Did you convert it to 3E/3.5E at all, or were you running it 2E? The reason I am asking is because I am running my players through that right now and decided to do it with 3E/3.5E rules. Thus the reason I can't wait to this book hits the shelves.

Wraithdrit

First Post
I can't wait either. I am in the middle of running City of the Spider Queen, and don't really like the travelling Underdark encounters in the book, and plan to use this to make new ones.

Gez

First Post
Wraithdrit said:
In fact I have not bought the Book of Vile Darkness yet for that very reason. Its not FR. Its GH.

Actually, no. If it was Greyhawk, then we would have seen the stats for Iuz rather than this "Dread Emperor". We would have had vile gods like Tharizdun, Incabulos, and the others rather than new gods that were never seen before --and that will never be seen after.

Cildarith said:
There are no original ideas in FR, so they have to steal things from other sources, mostly Greyhawk. It has always been this way, do not expect it to change.

The Forgotten Realms have an universal vacuum cleaner that allow them to copy everything from other settings.

But this don't mean they can't come up with their own stuff. I don't think the Sharn and Phaerimm monsters, or the famous Spellfire capacity, or the Cult of the Dragon organization, can't be qualified as Realms-stuff.

Oh, suck it up. They're a deep one rip off. Just because EGG consensed A Shadow over Insmount into 20 pages of stats and heackneyed encounters 20+ years ago doesn't mean you need to act like someone kill your puppy for Satan.

William Ronald

Explorer
Kuo-toa do have a long history in the Realms, and much of the FR stuff is fairly easy to adapt to other campaign settings. For most monsters, they tend to exist on more than one world. (In the case of intelligent creatures, it is perhaps to be expected that this is the case. Many worship deities or have means to travel from world to world.)

I agree that the kuo-toa show obvious Lovecraftian influence. So do mindflayers. The creatures in the game show several different influences.

Staffan

Legend
Anthraxus said:
Psion, did they print Abishai and Shadow dragons in Monsters of Faerun? Is that what you're saying? Would explain why I haven't seen a new version of them... :(
They also FR-ized the Abishai quite a lot, tying them to the chromatic dragons (there are now five types of Abishai) and to Tiamat, the Dragon Queen.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
Staffan said:
They also FR-ized the Abishai quite a lot, tying them to the chromatic dragons (there are now five types of Abishai) and to Tiamat, the Dragon Queen.

Hmm, IIRC there were five colors of abishai daiting back to their appearance in the Monster Manual II....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads