• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First house rule: Tieflings have small horns

Ebon Shar

Explorer
As it is, they look like goat-people. Give them little goatees and change the name to Goatborn. Or, house-rule them to look like something you'd like to play. I like to imagine them as the devil guy in the Star Wars Cantina. I'd post a picture, but my post-fu is bad.

Bishmon

First Post
MortalPlague said:
why can't tieflings be a subtly tainted race?
Agreed. I would love that. I think it'd create an interesting dynamic to have two very similar races seperated by something that isn't obvious. The paranoia, prejudices, etc., would all be very interesting.

That's why I'd love to see tieflings that didn't have horns, tails, forked tongues, or different colored skin. I don't want 'you seem normal, oh wait, you're blue', I want subtle.

Unfortunately, tieflings don't provide that for me.

My ruling is that tieflings have whatever physical features the player wants (like they were in previous editions), as long as it's in reason. Nothing that effects the rules in any way (until there are balanced rules to reflect these differences).

I personally feel that Bison-Horned Dinosaur-Tailed tieflings are ridiculous.

Gloombunny

First Post
I think I'll find some good DiTerlizzi or similar tiefling pictures online, print them out, then paste them over the tiefling art in my copy of the PHB.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I don't mind the Tiefling artwork, but I simply view it as one type of Tiefling.

Hell, in my first campaign-setting the race that is taking the Tiefling stats, looks more like and have more in common with aberrations then devils.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
ainatan said:
Hellboy-thumb.jpg

-Could you repeat that?

I love Hellboy, but keep in mind that it's the fact that he's uniquely monstrous that's a large part of his charm. If there were hundreds or thousands of Hellboys running around, well, it would get old very quickly.

In my mind, Hellboy is the sort of character that comes from playing a monster manual race. The DM is perfectly able to allow monstrous characters, and it can really add some spice to an otherwise standard game. But when every party has one, they lose their charm very quickly.

Protagonist

First Post
Wormwood said:
My only house rule: if the players want it, they get it. That includes tiefling horns and dragonborn boobs.

My precious snowflake sensibilities notwithstanding.

100% agreed, if they wish my players can play a smurf-like race with the crunch of halflings or re-flavour eladrin to be dryads (as long as it suits the mood of the campaign)

Remove ads