• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First Impressions?

ren1999

First Post
I think we need to get the designers to clarify something like this right away.

melee attacks based on strength should be (str vs ac)
melee finesse attacks (dex vs ac)
higher level melee finesse attacks attacking explosed flesh and chinks in the armor (dex vs dex)
touch attacks where armor doesn't matter (dex vs dex)
ranged thrown weapons (str vs ac)
ranged projectile weapons (dex vs ac)
prayer attacks (wis vs con/dex/int/or wis)
spell attacks (int vs con/dex/int/or wis)

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
If you are a cleric of St. Cuthbert (or Helm, Torm, Tyr or something) and you enter one of his temples, the clergy will turn around, point fingers, laugh at you and say: "Hah, get outa here, you lousy cleric and join some druidic circle or something. You hippy."

-YRUSirius

If XP was on, you would get bunches.

Stormonu

Legend
Well, bummer. I came home tonight hot to try out a playtest, and the wife and kids wanted to play Super Dungeon Explore instead. My time as a playtester does not bode well...

GSHamster

Adventurer
For some reason, on first reading it feels a lot like 2E to me. Well, a saner 2E with advantage/disadvantage instead of bonuses/penalties.

S

Sunseeker

First impression:
Some of their word choices are just dumb; disadvantage? hustle? lolwut.
Looks largely like a even-more-prosey 3.5 port.
Prosey spells are nice...prosey spells with no simple breakdown anywhere is just dumb. 'cause you know the first guy who wants that is going to read through it and make it, then do that for every spell they use, and eventually all the people doing this will combine that info and distribute it.

So overall, I'm rather "MEH". Making a paladin out of a cleric though....PISSES ME OFF!

Dragoslav

First Post
First impression:
Some of their word choices are just dumb; disadvantage? hustle? lolwut.
"Disadvantage" is a clear, simple counterpart to "advantage." "Hustle," on the other hand, is indeed pretty silly... They could have called it "sprint," "storm," "rush," etc.

On this topic, I'm not sure how I feel about not just having a "move action" anymore. It seems like it can work just fine, but I have my reservations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads