D&D 5E First Level Hit Points Need to Increase

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
When combats last 15-20 minutes, being on the sidelines for half of that isn't so bad. When combat rounds take that long, yes.

jhunton

First Post
That's your opinion. I actually prefer the lower chance of death in 4e. Save or die was, is, and will always be awful IMO.

first I have to say I love forums like this . where one can talk and give differt opinions .ya save or die with out resurrection is a bit harsh. one of the things I liked about 4ed was three strikes your out.

S

Sunseeker

ya but if Bob do,s not have a sense of danger then the game has no fun or meaning.:cool:

A sense of danger does not stem solely from the probability of death. It stems from a variety of factors, many of which have to be created by the DM and cannot be written into the rule material.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
As someone who mostly plays in various living campaigns, if I have to go back to characters that risk being one-shotted at level 1, then I'm less likely to want to play in an organized play campaign using DDN. There were several times where I've been dropped before getting an action in a low level 3.5 game. Having to sit there for the next hour doing nothing but rolling stabilization checks wasn't fun.

And I'd be less likely to play if the possibility DIDN'T exist. The problem is not low hit points. It's the length of combat. Ideally, getting one shotted should keep you out of action 10-15 minutes. Which is also how long creating a new character should take.

jhunton

First Post
A sense of danger does not stem solely from the probability of death. It stems from a variety of factors, many of which have to be created by the DM and cannot be written into the rule material.

sorry but if you take death out of the equation.then what other factor would express danger?

jhunton

First Post
And I'd be less likely to play if the possibility DIDN'T exist. The problem is not low hit points. It's the length of combat. Ideally, getting one shotted should keep you out of action 10-15 minutes. Which is also how long creating a new character should take.

hear hear :cool:

Blackbrrd

First Post
sorry but if you take death out of the equation.then what other factor would express danger?
Well, another factor would be failure in accomplishing your goals. For instance not being able to save the village. Not managing to take the keep back from the robber-baron.

Not really sure if "danger" is the right word to use here, failure would be a better one. You want there to be tension when playing, letting the players feel that there is something at stake.

jhunton

First Post
Well, another factor would be failure in accomplishing your goals. For instance not being able to save the village. Not managing to take the keep back from the robber-baron.

Not really sure if "danger" is the right word to use here, failure would be a better one. You want there to be tension when playing, letting the players feel that there is something at stake.

as I stated what danger.:cool:

Remove ads