D&D 3E/3.5 Fixing the newly broken rogue class (thanks to Andy and 3.5)

reapersaurus

Explorer
Cry me a river.

In 3E, the rogue and cleric were undeniably the most 'powerful' classes.

Making them a bit more balanced doesn't destroy their effectiveness.

Technik4 said:
Your "better" rogue makes multiclassing much easier, before I needed 3 levels for UDodge and Evasion, with your version I only need 2 levels, and hey, I get +1 AC and +1 Reflex saves vs traps just for fun.
And this is different from taking two levels of barbarian how? Oh yeah, instead of getting +1 AC and +1 Reflex saves vs traps, I get a rage ability and +10 to my movement. Hm, tough call. The point here is that once you invest 2 levels into a character (strictly for the purposes of power gaming), you have invested 2 levels into a character. Two levels is two levels. Nothing to shake a stick at. Advancement slows down as you climb up that level ladder. Choose your initial *fast* levels wisely or recklessly cherry pick all you like. Your call.

Technik4 said:
As far as the master of "sensing" traps, rogues are and will always be the masters of that particular skill. However, now they have an equally adept cousin at "reacting" to traps. This is because the primal fury a barbarian wraps himself in has him keyed up to the slightest provocation (or whatever).
Which explains all those in-class ranks of Spot and Sense Motive that the barbarian will be taking.

:rolleyes:

Technik4 said:
There is nothing wrong with another class that can "react" as well as rogues to traps, rogues are still the only ones who can A) Locate them and B) Disarm them.
People who commit crimes as a way of life are the same ones who can spot them a mile away, long before anybody else does. I'll let you wrestle with that metaphor on your own time.

:)

Technik4 said:
Speaking of "reacting", Monks can react as well as rogues against damaging effects which offer a reflex save. BROKEN? Nah, its cool, why not?
Did I say anything about the monk? No? I didn't think so either. Kind of arguing with your own shadow here, aren't you?

Technik4 said:
In terms of which character could react to danger more quickly (barb or rogue) I would probably say the rogue. 3.5 changed the rules so that this is not necessarily true.
You see? We do agree! Now all you gotta do is break that WotC-speaks-the-gospel-truth perception, and you'll do just fine.

Technik4 said:
In terms of which character could react to danger on either side of him (within 5 ft, usually) I would say barbarian. 3.5 changed the rules so that this is true.
I personally don't see how a character, whose primary rage ability prevents them from using abilities that require patience or concentration, is going to be more aware of danger than a rogue.

;)

Technik4 said:
As far as "crowning achievement" well really this is silly. How many people out of all the d&ders out there have actually made a rog20+. Many, probably.
Indeed. Probably all those people who aren't busy cherry picking character classes for the sake of power gaming.

Technik4 said:
What difference does it make whether or not they get something ultra special at 20th level?
Many characters do. Dead levels suck. Call it my personal bias, but I don't think I'm alone on that one.

Technik4 said:
I don't treat WotC as gospel...
Could have fooled me.

Technik4 said:
...but your rogue is also a far cry from anything heavenly.
And a good thing too. I was going for balanced, not heavenly. Call me a heathen, but I try not confuse the two.

Natch.

Last edited:

bret

First Post
niteshade6 said:
eh, I don't think anyone who has every seen the massive amount of sneak attack damage a rogue with multiple attacks can dish out will consider them weak. The key is to think of them as a fighter with (sometimes) low defence, very high damage, and some special abilities which could be essential.

Sorry, I've seen what a rogue with sneak attack can do. I'm not impressed.

First of all, the rogue suffers from the same Flurry of Misses that the Monk used to have. Roll to hit, miss, roll to hit, miss. The -2 to attack (because of TWF) just makes the 3/4 BAB that much worse. They also don't tend to have the best magical weapons and usually end up burning a feat on Finesse if they want to do melee.

Secondly, they need a full round action to get those multiple attacks. Can't do that during a surprise round. You better get initiative on the first full melee round. In most cases, the opponent is going to get a full round attack against them. Since the rogue only has light armor and the second worst hit die (only Sorcerers and Wizards are worse), they aren't going to be able to stay in melee very long.

Lastly, at high levels there are plenty of ways to avoid Sneak Attack damage. The big NPCs at high levels should have armor with the Fortification ability -- mostly to stop the criticals that can cause sudden shifts in battle. There are also a lot of creatures that are immune to criticals: Undead, Elementals, Slimes, Constructs, etc. Although you can often position yourself to get flanking, there are still lots of times that you can't get Sneak Attack damage.

Sorry, but I am not impressed by the rogue's ability to deal damage.

Technik4

First Post
And this is different from taking two levels of barbarian how? Oh yeah, instead of getting +1 AC and +1 Reflex saves vs traps, I get a rage ability and +10 to my movement. Hm, tough call.

Is it "tough" or totally different? While you get rage you also lose out on evasion and 4 skill points per level (which is at least 8 for 2 levels, more if we are talking 1st level). It is actually a very tough call. I don't think taking one or the other is an "always" thing, but in my experience, adding the rogue levels fits more archtypes than adding the barb levels.

The point here is that once you invest 2 levels into a character (strictly for the purposes of power gaming), you have invested 2 levels into a character.

Whoa whoa. Who said "strictly for powergaming" about multiclassing? Is that what multiclassing other than evenly represents to you? In that case I think you need to revise some of the gospel you learnt from AD&D 2ed. If I choose to add 1,2, or 3 levels of rogue to my fighter there isn't necessarily anything "powergaming" about it, in fact, in a balanced system my DM shouldnt have to worry about powergaming from how you pick your classes and levels.

The point is your version is far more overloaded than either 3.0 or 3.5, which gives it a good chance of being "broken".

Two levels is two levels. Nothing to shake a stick at. Advancement slows down as you climb up that level ladder. Choose your initial *fast* levels wisely or recklessly cherry pick all you like. Your call.

Is this your way of saying you decreased the level you need to get 2 core rogue abilities but it doesnt make the class any more attractive to multiclass? Because...thats really wrong.

Which explains all those in-class ranks of Spot and Sense Motive that the barbarian will be taking.

You hear a click, you watch someone step on a tile, you open a door and it has more resistance than it should - any of those things can indicate a trap that is "set off", how quickly I react to those things has nothing to do with my sense motive roll (of all things) and while it could be tied to my spot roll, in 3e it isn't. Instead its linked to the reflex saving throw, which is poor for barbarians and good for rogues (a point you didn't bother to quote). Now, giving barbarians and rogues an ability which lets them avoid traps does not necessarily make them equally adept at trap removal, but it gives the barbarian more of a chance than say a fighter or a paladin. That makes sense to me, especially in the context of things like pit traps or outdoor snares and the like.

So is your problem with Trap Sense +x or the way traps are avoided in general? Because the sense motive and spot skills don't come into play (although search and disable device do).

Did I say anything about the monk? No?

No you didn't, but my analogy was as follows. You don't like that the barbarian got an ability to avoid traps because it doesnt fit them, says you. In 3.0 the new monk class got evasion, an ability it shared only with the rogue, which some might say belongs to the rogue more than the monk. In other words, if barbarians had had trap sense from the outset, would you have beef with it?

I personally don't see how a character, whose primary rage ability prevents them from using abilities that require patience or concentration, is going to be more aware of danger than a rogue.

This, I feel, is my strongest argument (or your weakest). It is very easy to see how a barbarian could fend off 2 people on his flanks. It is not so easy to see how the rogue could do this. Im speaking of stereotypes here. Most normal characters are "distracted" by the flank, so that they lose their dexterity bonus (their ability to react, if you will). Barbarians don't lose it because it is natural to them to react on either side, they have seen gangs of animals fight <insert whatever flavor>. Rogues get the ability because they often flank opponents and are supposedly covering openings they usually exploit.

Just because you know what you exploit doesnt mean you have the ability to defend against it, at least in my book, in the real world. I may know how to punch someone or box someones ears, but I dont know a particularly good block for either, especially if Im fighting 2 people on either side of me. Remember, one argument is about rules, does this rule make sense in the context of the rest of the abilities, the other is about flavor, does this rule make sense in the context of this archtype. Imo, the "keeps dex" makes sense for the rogue and the "can't be flanked" makes sense for the barb. Thus, I am happy with 3.5 because it presents a balanced solution for both classes.

Many characters do. Dead levels suck. Call it my personal bias, but I don't think I'm alone on that one.

May I ask how many level 20+ characters youve played? How many were created pre-level 15? If you have problems answering those questions than its safe to say you don't like dead levels because your personal bias is nothing more than an anal nature. IMO.

Also since when do characters need something every level? I think theres about 8 or 9 fighter levels where they don't get anything, and if you count feats as nothing special then just about all 20 are "dead levels". What about a spellcaster in between spell levels? Look at the bard or cleric. Dead levels are no big deal, you still get something every level, some of it just goes on "under the hood".

I was going for balanced...

Try again.

Technik

Caliban

Rules Monkey
bret said:

Sorry, I've seen what a rogue with sneak attack can do. I'm not impressed.

First of all, the rogue suffers from the same Flurry of Misses that the Monk used to have. Roll to hit, miss, roll to hit, miss. The -2 to attack (because of TWF) just makes the 3/4 BAB that much worse. They also don't tend to have the best magical weapons and usually end up burning a feat on Finesse if they want to do melee.

Secondly, they need a full round action to get those multiple attacks. Can't do that during a surprise round. You better get initiative on the first full melee round. In most cases, the opponent is going to get a full round attack against them. Since the rogue only has light armor and the second worst hit die (only Sorcerers and Wizards are worse), they aren't going to be able to stay in melee very long.

Lastly, at high levels there are plenty of ways to avoid Sneak Attack damage. The big NPCs at high levels should have armor with the Fortification ability -- mostly to stop the criticals that can cause sudden shifts in battle. There are also a lot of creatures that are immune to criticals: Undead, Elementals, Slimes, Constructs, etc. Although you can often position yourself to get flanking, there are still lots of times that you can't get Sneak Attack damage.

Sorry, but I am not impressed by the rogue's ability to deal damage.

*shrug* Then you haven't seen a competently played rogue. They do massive damage if you want to play them that way, with the downside of being weak against certain creatures.

I've played with a 10th level halfling rogue who wields a +1 holy bastard sword and a 14 str (18 after a good bullstrength). Even against foes he can't sneak attack, he does good damage.

And lord help you if you are evil and crittable: 1d10+6 (str)+1 (enhancement)+2d6 (holy)+5d6(sneak attack) = average of 37 points of damage with one hit.

Combine that with his+14/+9 attack bonus, Haste and the Opportunist ability, he usually manages to land 2-4 sneak attacks per round, for an average of about 100 points. (Naturally, this is far lower against constructs, plants, oozes, and to a lesser extent undead, but that's where my fighter get's to shine.)

Of course, a lot of being a high damage rogue depends on the rest of the party. We go out of our way to help him out: turning him invisible, hasting him, casting fly, flanking with him, blinding his opponents, grappling his opponents, healing him, etc.

totoro

First Post
niteshade6 said:
eh, I don't think anyone who has every seen the massive amount of sneak attack damage a rogue with multiple attacks can dish out will consider them weak. The key is to think of them as a fighter with (sometimes) low defence, very high damage, and some special abilities which could be essential.

It's true that in some campaigns they are the easiest "classic" character to do without. But in other campaigns they are still vital for their trap abilities. And even if you never find any traps I'm still never unhappy to have a rogue in my group, as long as he built himself for combat.

I've heard others say that a rogue with multiple attacks is great because he gets all those sneak attacks. Unless I'm mistaken, however, a rogue with multiple attacks gets to apply his sneak attack damage once per round no matter how many attacks he makes. Otherwise I would tend to agree that sneak attack is very powerful.

As it stands, a fighter with a greatsword (at 1st level) typically does better damage than a sneak attacking rogue no matter how many weapons the rogue has. A rogue that is not sneak attacking is pathetic in comparison (as he should be since a fighter is built specifically for, well, fighting). The rogue was able to shine in other areas to make up for this. Now he doesn't shine quite as brightly.

Compare with a 1st level ranger, for example. The ranger gets +2 hp, +1 BAB, +2 Fort, track, wild empathy, favored enemy. The rogue gets trap finding, sneak attack 1d6, and 8 skill points. Trap Finding is practically worthless at this level because if the trap is DC 21, then, statistically, you are better off letting the Barbarian trigger it because he has twice as many hit points. (14 INT, disable device 4 ranks gives +6 modifier, so the DC 21 trap goes off 50% and you succeed 25%). Any DM worth his salt will have discussed the favored enemy with the ranger so that he can meet some of them early in his career. If the DM tries to balance the ranger with the rogue, I suppose he could prevent the ranger from ever getting to use his ability, but that would suck. So the favored enemy, at least at 1st level is about as good as sneak attack, which is only used during the surprise round because a rogue who tumbles back to flank will get his ass handed to him. 8 skill points is nice, but is only worth about 1.5 regular feats). That's about equivalent to +2 Fort and +2 hit points (and go ahead and throw in track and wild empathy for good measure). The ranger still gets +1 BAB.

The advantages continue to accrue for the Ranger, with the Rogue never quite keeping up. In short, the Ranger is a better scout and lookout. The Rogue eventually becomes the trap disabler. Which sounds more fun to you?

reapersaurus

Explorer
totoro said:
I've heard others say that a rogue with multiple attacks is great because he gets all those sneak attacks. Unless I'm mistaken, however, a rogue with multiple attacks gets to apply his sneak attack damage once per round no matter how many attacks he makes. Otherwise I would tend to agree that sneak attack is very powerful.
It IS applicable to every attack, not just once per round.

Yes, it can be quite powerful.

I'm surprised you would bother to conclude that 3.5E rogues are "weak" without knowing about that rule.
Also, your 1st level comparison to a ranger was one of the most subjective, non-accurate and inonclusive comparisons I've witnessed.

To me, sneak attack is the problem with the rogue.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
totoro said:

You are mistaken. Sneak attack damage applies on each and every attack that meets the necessary criteria.

totoro

First Post
Caliban said:

You are mistaken. Sneak attack damage applies on each and every attack that meets the necessary criteria.

That's the way we were playing it straight out of the PHB until somebody got the idea that it had been reduced in power. Where did that come from?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
totoro said:

That's the way we were playing it straight out of the PHB until somebody got the idea that it had been reduced in power. Where did that come from?

You might want to ask the person who got that idea. I promise you that it hasn't changed from the 3.0 PHB.

Remove ads