D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury Dragons Ranked By Challenge Rating

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items. By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are: Ancient crystal (19) Ancient topaz (20) Ancient emerald (21) Ancient moonstone (21) Ancient sapphire (22) Elder brain dragon (22) Ancient amethyst (23) Ancient dragon turtle (24) Gem...

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items.

fbtod.png

By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are:
  • Ancient crystal (19)
  • Ancient topaz (20)
  • Ancient emerald (21)
  • Ancient moonstone (21)
  • Ancient sapphire (22)
  • Elder brain dragon (22)
  • Ancient amethyst (23)
  • Ancient dragon turtle (24)
  • Gem greatwyrm (26)
  • Chromatic greatwyrm (27)
  • Metallic greatwyrm (28)
  • Apects of Bahamut and Tiamat (30)
Interestingly, it appears that the great wyrm category is divided into three -- gem, chromatic, metallic -- rather than by each dragon type.

There's also an alphabetical list of all 20 dragon types in the book:
  • Amethyst
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Brass
  • Bronze
  • Copper
  • Crystal
  • Deep
  • Dragon turtle
  • Emerald
  • Faerie
  • Gold
  • Green
  • Moonstone
  • Red
  • Sapphire
  • Shadow
  • Silver
  • Topaz
  • White

dave2008

Legend
The one CR is not a big difference. A fight between them could easily go either way.
Yes, I realize that, it is more the optics of it. However, when the book was announced it was stated that great wyrms would be mythic, which implies that the +1 difference in CR is a little bit bigger gap.

dave2008

Legend
I'm sad that there is such a small list of new dragons in here. I'd love to see lung dragons, catastrophic dragons, cloud dragons, mirage dragons, song dragons, etc, etc. I know there's only so much room, but :(
While I could always use more dragons, I am surprised by how many more dragons we are getting. IIRC most of the previous editions of the Draconomicon don't introduce this many new dragon types.

Silvara (Dragonlance) could be the storyteller of the next book, Mizaab Zalen(Greyhawk) or Eormennoth(Forgotten Realms).

I imagine "Council of Wyrms as a transtional setting". This means this could be visited by characters from all the worlds. Maybe in a future Chris Perkins' Iomanda become canon, but I suggest to add some thing: The dragon overlords can create "artificial" demiplanes withing the elemental chaos of Limbo. This would allow to can add all the new species could be created later, even when we know dragons as supreme predators in the top of the food chain need a lot of territory to hunt. Maybe the flaw of these demiplanes is they can suffer planar invasions by giants or lovecratian kaijus from the Far-Realms. The demiplanes would need "nodes", something like "mana sources", and the giants with their own demiplanes would want those nodes linked with the dragon domains.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads