D&D 5E Flaws

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I may have put this in the wrong forum, sorry. Mods feel free to move. The page linked is 5E-based, but perhaps this should have been in 'House Rules' forum.

All the same, has anyone had a look? Will you use these? Thoughts?

I am not really seeing the point to just taking one minor flaw since you will always be better off taking two minor flaws and getting a feat sized bonus which is always going to come with a much bigger boost to your options or will come with a +1 ability score increase. Maybe make the minor flaw a +1 Ability Score increase and two minors/one major a feat? If you compare the feat that gives you moderate armor (which gives you the mod armor, a shield AND a ability score increase, that seems well ahead of just picking mod armor and a shield).

Also, are you allowed just to take two minor flaws and one major? Obviously, this is house rules anyway, I am just wondering how you are using it.

The flaws themselves look pretty snappy, Obviously, if I were DM and saw someone with Landlubber on their character sheet, I would be gleefully planning many seafaring adventures, since that is the way I roll.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Me too ;)

I am with you on the 2 minor flaws is not quite up to gaining a feat.

I am thinking of just going with Minor = Proficiency; Major = Feat.

(Honestly, it should probably take 4 minors to gain a feat).

Thanks. I will make these changes. Is it better balanced now? (TBH, I hadn't put a lot of thought into that yet - I was just so eager to start writing the Flaws ;)).

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I also removed the Proficiencies from the Major Flaw. You get a feat. If you want proficiencies, there are feats like Skilled and Weapon Master that you can choose anyway. ;)

Still deciding on 3 or 4 Minors for the same benefit?

Three would be fine, although I might be tempted to go for four to make people more tempted to take the major versions where they are available. This is a case where some playtesting with different groups of people and actual feedback from potential users probably trumps design purity. Although the ratio you select may end up feeding back into how you end up dividing what constitutes a minor flaw and what is a major flaw. You should be eyeballing -2 Ability Score (minor)/-4 Ability Score (major) in a dump stat as your standard candle though.

Four is probably where you will end up though. It also leaves design space for DMs to design "moderate" flaws if they are so inclined.

4 minor flaws = 2 moderate flaws = (1 moderate flaw + 2 minor flaws) = 1 major flaw

Three would still work as well though, but is a bit less elegant for eyeballing.

Also, are you familiar with the Fate RPG aspects/invoking/compelling mechanic? Also, do you use backgrounds from the PHB in your game? How do these flaws interact with the flaws there? Do you foresee DMs possibly granting Inspiration for using RPing the Flaws from your system?

A quick rethink here...

You probably want to set 3 minor flaws to being equivalent to 1 major flaw. Otherwise taking four minor flaws and grabbing skills à la carte would be strictly better than the Skilled feat and that is the gold standard for feat power when it comes to taking skills. I wouldn't use Weapon Mastery as a measure of anything because it is basically a junk feat outside a few corner cases and then it will largely be used for flavor reasons. I understand why it is designed the way it was, but it really should have been "You gain proficiency with all simple and martial weapons" to begin with.

If you didn't have à la carte picking though, it would work fine at the 4 to 1 ratio.

Remove ads