• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FLGS and DnD?

Alan Shutko

Explorer
I must say, I'd definitely buy poop-scented Mother's Day cards. But onto the real topic, this is why I don't actually frequent any FLGSes. I've got LGSes, but I haven't found any friendly ones.

I can see certain situations where it makes sense for a store to ask you if you're sure about a purchase. If the store gets a tons of returns on an item because folks think it's something that it isn't, or it's an item really intended for a specific niche, the store might want to say something. For instance, if I sold software and someone picked up Adobe CS5.5 Master Collection and mentioned how they needed to remove the red eyes from the pics of their grandchildren, I might mention that there's a lot of different software that can do that, and CS5.5 has a pretty steep learning curve.

But I'm not going to try to pass judgment on a customer's taste, and RPGs are so cheap that it doesn't make a lot of sense to try to second-guess the customer unless they're buying the whole-line sight unseen.

BTW, looks like I'm actually over 100 posts. Wasn't actually sure.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
He said Myriad Games.

So just so we're clear. The store buys the 4e books. Then hides them so a customer can't buy them. Thus they pay WotC for the book, but intentionally try to avoid profiting off it.

Makes perfect sense.

To be fair, didn't he say a customer could buy it at 75% off but only if you could run the gauntlet of negativity talk the store clerk into it?

(On an unrelated topic, please bring back the rolly-eyes smiley . . . :D )

D'karr

Adventurer
To be fair, didn't he say a customer could buy it at 75% off but only if you could run the gauntlet of negativity talk the store clerk into it?

(On an unrelated topic, please bring back the rolly-eyes smiley . . . :D )

Will they pay for the shipping too? Because I'd like to get my hand on 75% off books.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Will they pay for the shipping too? Because I'd like to get my hand on 75% off books.

Seems like a good deal, even if only to resell them. Heck, other FLGSs probably still pay 40% - 60% from a distributor for them, depending on the volume of their orders.

kitcik

Adventurer
Assuming for a second it was right, then why are they even carrying the product if they are going to steer their customers away from it?

I'd need more info, but a theory could be that this customer wanted a D&D like game.

EDIT: but the other story, about the backwards inventory, is just idiocy.

Last edited:

kitcik

Adventurer
I would like to say one thing, before I make my main point. That is, I like 4E as a game.

Main point: It just isn't D&D to me.

What about this feels like D&D:

Add D&D Fortune Cards and Enhance Your Game

Dungeons & Dragons Fortune Cards, sold in booster packs of 8 cards, give players fun new ways to survive the challenges of the D&D Encounters in-store play program, as well as their home campaigns. These cards give characters fun, temporary benefits that feel different from the benefits gained from powers and feats, without adding undue complexity to the D&D game.

How They Work

At the start of each encounter, shuffle your deck and draw a card.

You can play one card per round. It requires no action to play. The rules on each card state when you can play it and what effect it has. A card takes effect just once unless it states otherwise, and you discard the card when its effect ends.

You can have only one Fortune Card in your hand at a time. At the start of each of your turns, you can do one of the following:

Discard the card in your hand and draw a new one.
Draw a new card if you don’t have one in your hand.
Keep the card that’s in your hand if you haven’t played it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I would like to say one thing, before I make my main point. That is, I like 4E as a game.

Main point: It just isn't D&D to me.

What about this feels like D&D:

Dungeons & Dragons Fortune Cards, sold in booster packs of 8 cards, give players fun new ways to survive the challenges of the D&D Encounters in-store play program, as well as their home campaigns. These cards give characters fun, temporary benefits that feel different from the benefits gained from powers and feats, without adding undue complexity to the D&D game.

How They Work

You can play one card per round. It requires no action to play. The rules on each card state when you can play it and what effect it has. A card takes effect just once unless it states otherwise, and you discard the card when its effect ends.

You can have only one Fortune Card in your hand at a time. At the start of each of your turns, you can do one of the following:

No idea. It's light blue text on a white background! I cannae read it!

kitcik

Adventurer
No idea. It's light blue text on a white background! I cannae read it!

Very odd for that to come from a Mod. All my ENWorld views (on work PC, home PC, Mac laptop and iMac) all appear with a black background and white text, so the light blue shows quite well. But here you go:

How They Work

Wiseblood

Adventurer
My FLGS isn't very local. It's 650 miles away from my house. It's small but it's been in business for more than 20 years and seems to be doing well. Quite literally the exact opposite of the OP's LGS. Mine puts the F in it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads