D&D General Flipping Race And Background Altogether

Reynard

Legend
Except where they explicitly line up with real world weights and measures. Though I agree, it's an abstract fantasy game. I'm good with that. If anything, it's too worried about being concrete and not abstract enough.

Raw strength score Hafthor Bjornson, by a mile. They're both trained in athletics, but Phelps clearly has expertise in swimming...or we just acknowledge he's a bad example because of his several genetic advantages that give him basically the perfect body for swimming, larger lung capacity than most, and his body produces less lactic acid, amongst other things.
A strength roll is a strength roll.

Sure. It doesn't quite explain how a 3 ft. 40 pound halfling is just as a strong as an 7 foot 250 pound Goliath but it's a start I guess.

It's because of culture. Halflings generally 3 ft because they are letting their children starve because they're too busy attending feasts, while Goliath are healthy, 7 fters because their society promotes good parenting and feeding the youngs, and protecting them from various debilitating child diseases by paying for the doctor instead of letting them survive if they are lucky. The halfling society has Nietzsche has a prominent pediatric author, after all.

MGibster

Legend
It's because of culture. Halflings generally 3 ft because they are letting their children starve because they're too busy attending feasts, while Goliath are healthy, 7 fters because their society promotes good parenting and feeding the youngs, and protecting them from various debilitating child diseases by paying for the doctor instead of letting them survive if they are lucky. The halfling society has Nietzsche has a prominent pediatric author, after all.
That makes sense. Halfings are really just human beings who grew up with rickets and pellagra.

That makes sense. Halfings are really just human beings who grew up with rickets and pellagra.

That explains the why there is no half-halfings. They're just humans so their children are humans. While there are half-elves and half-orcs because orcs, elves and humans males and females are the six sexes of the larger fantasy humanoid species.

Remove ads