D&D 5E For the Convenience of Necromancers

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
I've created a couple of spells for necromancers. The first is to make it convenient to create skeletons from battlefield casualties; the other is to fulfil a scene that any necromancer worth their salt should be capable of.

Excarnate Corpse

1st level necromancy

Casting Time: 1 minute (ritual)

Range: 30 feet

Components: V, S, small bone

Duration: Instant

You target the corpse of a humanoid or beast, medium-sized or smaller, that has a skeleton. The spell summons a magical swarm of dermestid beetles that miraculously scour away any flesh and organic material, leaving an inanimate skeleton.

At Higher Levels: For each level the spell slot used is above 1st level, the caster can excarnate an additional 2 creatures#.

Arise from the Grave

5th level necromancy

Casting Time: 10 minutes (ritual)

Range: 30 feet radius, 10 foot deep

Components: V, S, skull of a goat

You stand in an area that you think the dead are buried, and call on them to dig themselves out of their graves. Up to five medium sized or smaller humanoid skeletons will dig through to the surface and be under your control as per Animate Dead. If the corpses were buried less than 2 months ago, they will arise as zombies instead.

At Higher Levels: For each level the spell slot used is above 5th level, the caster can excarnate an additional 2 creatures#.

#edited based on comments in thread.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I like the first one, nice that it is a ritual. The second one feels more like a 3rd level spell. 5 skeletons does not feel like that much when you can cast 5th level spells. I can see a BBEG casting it, if it was not a ritual, to fight 3rd level PCs.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I really love the first spell!!

Arise from the Grave

5th level necromancy

Casting Time: 10 minutes (ritual)

Range: 30 feet radius, 10 foot deep

Components: V, S, skull of a goat

You stand in an area that you think the dead are buried, and call on them to dig themselves out of their graves. Up to five medium sized or smaller humanoid skeletons will dig through to the surface and be under your control as per Animate Dead. If the corpses were buried less than 2 months ago, they will arise as zombies instead.

At Higher Levels: For each level the caster is above 5th level, they can exhume an additional creature.
So I like what you're doing here. I think this spell is great for NPC and enemy necromancers. But for a PC, this is potentially too powerful. Since it's a ritual, there's essentially no limit to how often it can be cast, allowing for a PC to create dozens of minions with no investment aside from the time it takes to cast the ritual. Aside from that, the only thing I can see that sets this apart from upcasting Animate Dead to 5th level is not requiring the caster to be able to see the corpse.

I do have a few recommendations for this spell. The first is to remove the ritual tag. Rituals are balanced to be spells that are more about exploration or quality of life improvements. Detection spells, tiny hut, unseen servant, etc. I would say a hard limit for a ritual spell is anything that could increase a PC's effectiveness in combat. So if this spell created a bunch of zombie minions with 1 hp and unable to attack or help in combat, it might make more sense.

If you want this spell to be more combat oriented, you could make it a one action spell, but limit the number of animated corpses to one or two, require concentration, and limit the duration of the spell to 1 minute.

Another area that might be worth exploring is allowing this version to animate tiny, large, or huge zombies/skeletons.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Nice spells, the only real issue I have with these spells, is that it doesn't follow 5e's method of casting at higher levels via using higher level spell slots.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I like the beetles, too. But it’s not really 5e style to include that kind of fluff in spell descriptions.
If the OP was intending to publish these spells, you may have a point. But if this is just for them and their own game, the more important aspects for critique migt be how the spell functions and could I pact the game, rather than little details that don't impact the actual mechanics.

Remove ads