• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forbidden message board buzz words of 2004

Ian the Mad said:
Bah! The Vikings and their silly Old Norse, and those bloody priests and their Latin screwed up perfectly good Germanic! This Old English nonsense is just a silly corruption.
Yeah, but at that point, it could almost be argued that Norse was only a competing dialect of the same Germanic language anyway. And Latin directly had very little impact on English, surprisingly enough. ;)

Mystic_23

First Post
Ian the Mad said:
Bah! The Vikings and their silly Old Norse, and those bloody priests and their Latin screwed up perfectly good Germanic! This Old English nonsense is just a silly corruption.

Hey, hey! Watch it with badmouthing the Vikings. Unless you WANT us to raid and pillage!

Ian the Mad

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Yeah, but at that point, it could almost be argued that Norse was only a competing dialect of the same Germanic language anyway. And Latin directly had very little impact on English, surprisingly enough. ;)
Well, yes, the various scandanavian borrowings were more of a "You got your Old Norse in my Anglo-Frisian!" "You got your Anglo-Frisian in my Old Norse!" "Two great tastes that taste great together!" case than anything else. And yes, there wasn't a lot of direct borrowing from Latin outside of religious terms, at least in the Old English period, but it's fun to blame it for everything, anyways.

To conclude, we should all just learn Proto-Indo-European and be done with it.

Arnwyn

First Post
Psion said:
So, what did you all think of "crunch" and "fluff" being sported in a Dragon ad recently? :)
Gaaaahhhh! I was even going to make mention of that in my post: that those words were creeping into Dragon magazine advertisements. My first thought: "This advertisement is meaningless. Write in proper English, bozo."

If they want me to buy a product, they should be professional and not spout internet messageboard gibberish.

(What's next? An ad for a competing RPG system that begins with "Does your haet of d02 know no limit?")

Remove ads