• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forcecage + Dimensional lock = screwed?

javcs

First Post
Checking through the spells section in the SRD earlier, and I noticed that if you slap a forcecage (solid walls version) and a dimensional lock on/around somebody they're pretty much screwed, at least, they will be in a bit when the air runs out.

Am I missing something here or is it an incredibly cheap way to take out an opponent or two, assuming they fit in the forcecage?

moritheil

First Post
Well, there are all sorts of ways to dispel, plus at epic levels, Juggernauts can just bust through a wall of force. A character with a bottle of air or necklace of adaptation will also have no problems.

javcs

First Post
Yes, but if you get the subject when they are unprepared, or not expecting to need such gear, well . . .

I'll have to work on this.

Odinbob

First Post
I would have to agree with the screwed statement, in an epic game I once saw a Klurichir, D-locked and forced caged in the first round. The party tore threw the accompanying demons with no problems.

Sejs

First Post
javcs said:
they will be in a bit when the air runs out.

I definitely remember reading that normal air passes through force barriers/walls/cages, even while it stops more substantial gaseous bodies, such as fog, cloudkill, or people windwalking.

So they're not going anywhere for a while (and hope they packed a snickers) but they're not going to suffocate in a few minutes.

Forcecage is nasty enough as it is. It doesn't need to be made into a 'be able to teleport or no air for you' eventua-kill spell.

Felix

Explorer
SRD said:
Resilient Sphere

Evocation [Force]
<snip>

A globe of shimmering force encloses a creature, provided the creature is small enough to fit within the diameter of the sphere. The sphere contains its subject for the spell’s duration. The sphere is not subject to damage of any sort except from a rod of cancellation, a rod of negation, a disintegrate spell, or a targeted dispel magic spell. These effects destroy the sphere without harm to the subject. Nothing can pass through the sphere, inside or out, though the subject can breathe normally.
[Emphasis added]

It's a different spell from Forcecage, but it is an Evocation [Force] spell that creates a very similar effect (by creating restricting force walls to contain and protect a subject). I have no problem applying the Sphere's breathes-normally clause to Forcecage, although strictly speaking this is not necessarily the case.

Remove ads