• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Foreshadowing the monk?

No Name

First Post
They could change the moving as well. Perhaps +2 to speed per tier. The monk gets to keep it's mobility without it being too overpowering.

Belphanior

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
So the Monk mobility is certainly down. Not moving any faster than another character, but a lot more effective after moving.

Down? What other class can double-move and still dish out an attack, every single round? Their mobility is higher than ever!

I also believe they'll get a bonus to speed and possibly AC as a class feature, perhaps +1 per tier to both. And I also bet many powers will allow some movement before or after the attack, similar to what rogues and rangers display.

NB. That is, assuming this dwarf is an accurate representation of the future monk, of course.

BartD

First Post
Andor said:
Anybody else notice this guy in the DMG?
Yeap, and I thought about the advice to convert 3.5 monks as rangers.

But I also wondered... Attacking with a minor action means that you can attack three times per round by trading down actions. Which means you're better of not moving but instad trading down your move action to a minor for attacking. Which reduces mobility, which does not seem to be the general intent!?

Craith

First Post
BartD said:
Yeap, and I thought about the advice to convert 3.5 monks as rangers.

But I also wondered... Attacking with a minor action means that you can attack three times per round by trading down actions. Which means you're better of not moving but instad trading down your move action to a minor for attacking. Which reduces mobility, which does not seem to be the general intent!?

I guess it will be restricted to once a round, like Healing Word

Cadfan

First Post
Did anyone else notice that "staff" is a weapon category that contains only one weapon, the quarterstaff? Here's hoping that this is a preview to a monk built somewhat like the 4e fighter, with powers that gain various benefits based on weapon selection.

nerdronomicon

First Post
Cadfan said:
Did anyone else notice that "staff" is a weapon category that contains only one weapon, the quarterstaff? Here's hoping that this is a preview to a monk built somewhat like the 4e fighter, with powers that gain various benefits based on weapon selection.

or maybe when they introduce the monk they'll include other stick weapons into the "staff" category, like jo sticks, tonfa, maybe the boken (although that's really a wooden sword, right?).

Cadfan

First Post
nerdronomicon said:
or maybe when they introduce the monk they'll include other stick weapons into the "staff" category, like jo sticks, tonfa, maybe the boken (although that's really a wooden sword, right?).
Yeah, that's what I'm expecting. I figure the reason that there's an entire category for just one weapon is because they have plans for that category to grow and become relevant.

Boarstorm

First Post
Combine that dwarf pugilist with the Banshrae Warrior for some real monk-like fun.

Staggering Palm, Mantid Dance, Skirmish, PLUS quick punch? Oh yeah.

Deltran

First Post
If you are worried about a monk that would use his minor action every round as an extra attack, I think the easy and awesome fix would be to give the monk multiple abilities that let it do neat stuff as a minor.

A at-will utility power that adds 1 to movement for the round as a minor.
Another encounter utility power that lets you ignore opportunity attacks and prevents you from granting combat advantage as a minor.
An encounter power that lets you daze your opponent and deal str or dex damage as a minor.

I think if the monk ended up being a "master of minor actions" it would be neat.

Rechan

Adventurer
It occurs to me that the "Minor action attack" could be seriously broken, simply because the monk can trade his move action for another minor.

So a round would go with his standard attack, then two minors. Granted, all he's doing is swinging that round, but three attacks are nothing to sneeze at.

The above suggestion for a cadre of Minor abilities, though, is nice.

Remove ads