D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
v1.55 Preview - Druid Wild Shape Sheet

Below is a preview of the initial Druid Wild Shape Sheet. One of the awesome things about the tool is everything is linked - race, classes, spell sheet, companions etc. one thing that was missing was the Druid Wild Shape details. This sheet is almost complete which enables selection of all Druid Wild Shape options and links exceptionally well with the rest of the tool. There will be options up to 4 Wild Shape forms and links directly with your character stats, skills, feats etc. Comments are very much appreciated and welcomed

Any fans of Druids, sound off!

DruidWildshapeSheet.png

Magistus71

Explorer
Below is a preview of the initial Druid Wild Shape Sheet. One of the awesome things about the tool is everything is linked - race, classes, spell sheet, companions etc. one thing that was missing was the Druid Wild Shape details. This sheet is almost complete which enables selection of all Druid Wild Shape options and links exceptionally well with the rest of the tool. There will be options up to 4 Wild Shape forms and links directly with your character stats, skills, feats etc. Comments are very much appreciated and welcomed

Any fans of Druids, sound off!

View attachment 69704

My GF will love this for her Druid.

Mergon

First Post
I was wondering if it would be possible to get a version of your wonderful spreadsheet that s not password protected. I'd love to make more use of it than I currently am, but there are several home-brewed classes that I have created and/or gotten off the internet that I'd like to add to it.

I love the way you made it possible to add custom races, backgrounds, deities and spells; but I understand adding a similar mechanic for classes would be much more difficult.

If an unlocked version of this sheet were available, than with a little trial and error I would be able to add these classes myself. I have built character sheets in Excel myself for Rolemaster and other editions of D&D but do not currently have to time to built what you have from scratch. :)

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
I have 2 players at the moment who are playing druids. One of them is playing a Circle of the Mood druid/Barbarian who will love the new changes. :)

Awesome!

Wildshape is actually quite complex, there are quite a number of considerations to think about which are not very clear in the Players Handbook (PH). The implementation in the tool will do its best to interpret the RAI... Let's see how it goes, all feedback is welcomed! In the end it's all about having fun and enjoying the game with good friends

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
I was wondering if it would be possible to get a version of your wonderful spreadsheet that s not password protected. I'd love to make more use of it than I currently am, but there are several home-brewed classes that I have created and/or gotten off the internet that I'd like to add to it.

I love the way you made it possible to add custom races, backgrounds, deities and spells; but I understand adding a similar mechanic for classes would be much more difficult.

If an unlocked version of this sheet were available, than with a little trial and error I would be able to add these classes myself. I have built character sheets in Excel myself for Rolemaster and other editions of D&D but do not currently have to time to built what you have from scratch. :)

Thanks for the feedback, awesome you're getting good use from the tool.

You're right, the customisation of classes is a massive challenge, but possible if you have the resources and budget.

Classes are very complex due to the multilevel nature of the base class and the subclasses within the bases class. To design a generic custom sheet that covers the design of a custom base class as well as custom subclasses for that base class and subclasses for existing base classes is very complex. There is no easy way to do this unfortunately. It is all possible, but it takes significant time and design thought into covering the current (and possible future, e.g. psionics) base and subclasses. When designing the framework of a custom class and subclass, you try to think about making it universal but there are always exceptions to the "general" rule and new rules that make the redesign changes a significant amount of effort.

The first step might be to look at only subclasses for current base classes, but this is also very broad - they generally follow some template design principles but ideally you need to make this as generic as possible to cover all classes i.e. include every possible progression for each bases class so when a user chooses any base class, the sub class for that base class can be custom designed.

The tool is updated with bug fixes, corrections and new features regularly. Over time and with releases of official content, the need of custom classes and subclasses will be reduced (there have been many requests for the materials from UA to be added, but I'm waiting for the final versions of the draft materials presented in UA to be released as official "play tested" supplements before implementing in the tool). I see having an unlocked version will not help the community as there could be core design changes in the tool that would not be compatible with any changes made by those who have homebrew customization the tool. Each new release of the tool would in theory require any homebrew customization of the tool to be updated which in turn requires a massive amount of effort.

I'm all for homebrews, it's great and that's why customization is there in the tool. In my opinion, 5e has been outstanding in providing a significant number of options for players to choose from using the core rules and that's great. Let's see how new features (or stuff that is converted from previous versions of D&D) of the game are implemented (i.e. psionics) and how that will impact the game overall. I think the it's great that the D&D design team are focusing on making fewer but bigger decisions and focusing on gamers feedback before releasing content - this is a good thing.

Last edited:

Mergon

First Post
Thanks for the feedback, awesome you're getting good use from the tool.

You're right, the customisation of classes is a massive challenge, but possible if you have the resources and budget.

Classes are very complex due to the multilevel nature of the base class and the subclasses within the bases class. To design a generic custom sheet that covers the design of a custom base class as well as custom subclasses for that base class and subclasses for existing base classes is very complex. There is no easy way to do this unfortunately. It is all possible, but it takes significant time and design thought into covering the current (and possible future, e.g. psionics) base and subclasses. When designing the framework of a custom class and subclass, you try to think about making it universal but there are always exceptions to the "general" rule and new rules that make the redesign changes a significant amount of effort.

The first step might be to look at only subclasses for current base classes, but this is also very broad - they generally follow some template deign principles but ideally you need to make this as generic as possible to cover all classes i.e. include every possible progression for each bases class so when a user chooses any base class, the sub class for that base class can be custom designed.

The tool is updated with bug fixes, corrections and new features regularly. Over time and with releases of official content, the need of custom classes and subclasses will be reduced (there have been many requests for the materials from UA to be added, but I'm waiting for the final versions of the draft materials presented in UA to be released as official "play tested" supplements before implementing in the tool). I see having an unlocked version will not help the community as there could be core design changes in the tool that would not be compatible with any changes made by those who have homebrew customization the tool. Each new release of the tool would in theory require any homebrew customization of the tool to be updated which intern requires a massive amount of effort.

I'm all for homebrews, it's great and that's why customization is there in the tool. In my opinion, 5e has been outstanding in providing a significant number of options for players to choose from using the core rules and that's great. Let's see how new features (or stuff that is converted from previous versions of D&D) of the game are implemented (i.e. psionics) and how that will impact the game overall. I think the it's great that the D&D design team are focusing on making fewer but bigger decisions and focusing on gamers feedback before releasing content - this is a good thing.

I can understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately two of the classes I use are the Artificer and a witch variant. Neither of these has come close to being slated for inclusion among official materials.

The closest thing to the Artificer is the new Wizard school being play-tested as part of the UA Eberron materials. I have seen no signs of an official Witch class. My personal creation of the Witch class is based off a charisma-based wizard with Circles replacing schools.

So far my players have been using MadBeard's wonderful auto-calculating pdf sheet where you can manually enter custom material. I have added my own materials to his sheet, but it is extremely cumbersome, compared to using an Excel spreadsheet, since the coding used for Adobe pdf's is much more cumbersome. It is doable, but when he upgrades his sheet, which he does on a regular basis, it is painful to go back through all my custom material and re-enter it manually.

Whereas with Excel, it is much easier, depending on how the raw data has been set up, to copy/paste my custom material over to an updated version of an Excel sheet. :)

Hopefully, at some future point in time, events may come to make you change your mind. :)

Thanks for your replies, and I still intend to make use of your sheet.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Translations - Japanese 超素晴らしい

Below is a first look at the Japanese translation of Character Sheet I. Thanks to Fighter-KOU for the work, it's super awesome!

Character Sheet I Japanese.png

Last edited:

Remove ads