D&D 5E Free League's Lord of the Rings RPG Comes To 5E

Last year, Free League Kickstarted the new version of The One Ring, the official tabletop RPG set in Middle Earth. It made over $2M on Kickstarter, making it the 7th biggest TTRPG Kickstarter in history.

Now it's time for the 5E-powered version. This one won't be hitting Kickstarter, but you will be able to pre-order it this fall for a release in 2023.

As noted by Alex Clippinger on Twitter, this isn't an update of Cubicle 7's Adventures in Middle Earth -- "People asked about the previous 5E adaptation in the showcase and FL clarified that this is a distinct 5E adaptation of their own One Ring system and shouldn’t be thought of as a new adaptation/version of C7’s Adventures in Middle Earth (sorry AiME lovers!)"

lotr.jpg

Free League Announces The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying For 5E

“This is the Master-ring, the One Ring to rule them all.”

The path to Middle-earth will soon open for new adventurers. We are thrilled to reveal that the acclaimed second edition of The One Ring™ roleplaying game is coming soon in a 5E adaptation, entitled The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying.

The new edition of The One Ring™ RPG, set in the world of The Lord of the Rings™ by J.R.R. Tolkien and designed by Francesco Nepitello and Marco Maggi, became the most successful tabletop roleplaying core game ever on Kickstarter when it ended March 4, 2021. Now the time has come to open Middle-earth for even more roleplayers with a brand new 5E adaptation.

The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying contains everything you need to create exciting 5E adventures set in the world’s most popular fantasy setting: six original heroic cultures from the land of Eriador, six new classes, a host of terrifying adversaries, and comprehensive rules for journeys, councils, wondrous artefacts, and the subtle magic of Middle-earth.

The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying core compendium will enter pre-order this fall, alongside a scenario module entitled Shire Adventures. A pre-order will give you immediate access to a full PDF of the products. The retail release of both is planned for Q1 2023.

lotr2.jpg
lotr3.jpg

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Lotta people commenting on here with no apparent knowledge of The One Ring 2E, which is a bummer, since that's an amazing game that's lovingly faithful to the novels. TOR 2e isn't AiME and neither is this. Was that ever really in doubt?
Since TOR 2E grew out of TOR 1E, I think it's reasonable to assume something similar would happen regarding AiME.

AiME was good, but it could be improved. I agree with @Yaarel; the Warden and Wizard classes were very, very, very sub-par. The best parts of the system were the people-specific feats, and feats are in vogue right now, so let's hope Free League noticed and goes more all in on that. The Dunedain being able to reveal that they have heroic lineage and scaring off a bunch of orcs was 10/10.

Oh, man, beautiful book. Do I really need another ME RPG system? I have the Decipher one, TOE1E, AiME, and kickstarted TOR2E ...

I really, really want Moria ... which I have for Decipher and was looking forward to a TOR1E or AiME re-envisioning before the C7 license exploded. I'm sure FL will do a great job ... if they get to it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I thought about this some more and I think Free League is having to do a whole new 5E spin-off, rather than just updating AiME to 2nd Ed, because C7 owns the rights to all the non-Tolkien 5E OGL rules and systems used in AiME. Otherwise, C7 would not be able to release the AiME Journey rules and other stuff as stand-alone 5E products.

Seems probable. My impression is that the divorce was a bit messy, here.

Seems probable. My impression is that the divorce was a bit messy, here.

Looking at the C7 website for the Jouneys book, it says made by the same folks who made AiME, so the AiME writers are still employed by C7, while the creators and writers of ToR took that system with them to Free League when the sub-license from Sophisticated Games moved there.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases