Froghemoths & Flail Snails - Oh My! Chris Perkins' New Adventure Sneak Peek

It's a Kamadan.

JeffB

Legend
Mr. Perkins, please don't ruin Barrier Peaks or anything other classics by hitting it with the WOTC Branding Iron.

There are vast numbers of 3rd and 4th edition adventures that can be butchered and not get any worse.

Hussar

Legend
Mr. Perkins, please don't ruin Barrier Peaks or anything other classics by hitting it with the WOTC Branding Iron.

There are vast numbers of 3rd and 4th edition adventures that can be butchered and not get any worse.

Yeah, they did such a horrible job already with Temple of Elemental Evil. :uhoh:

Oh, wait, they took an old classic, totally updated it, and made it into a smash hit that's pretty highly regarded and played by hundreds of thousands of people. (Considering that the Adventurers League played it, that's not an exaggeration). What bastards WotC would be to take some dusty old module that virtually no one who was born after about 1985 has played and doing the same thing.

JeffB

Legend
Yeah, they did such a horrible job already with Temple of Elemental Evil. :uhoh:

Oh, wait, they took an old classic, totally updated it, and made it into a smash hit that's pretty highly regarded and played by hundreds of thousands of people. (Considering that the Adventurers League played it, that's not an exaggeration). What bastards WotC would be to take some dusty old module that virtually no one who was born after about 1985 has played and doing the same thing.

You have an affinity for getting upset with my posts. I can get you a stack of Butthurt forms if you like. Not everyone thinks Wizards is doing an awesome job with their adventure products. But I do get a kick of how you take offense to anyone who doesn't like them.

And fwiw, I didn't like ToEE then or the new transplanted version either.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Mearls stated in the intro to PotA that they weren't going to do a "Return to the Return of the Temple of Elemental Evil" because the original and the 3E remix were both readily available in PDF: while Barrier Peaks is not currently on PDF last I checked, it is still readily available in print in the S collection.

Additionally, Against the Giants is available in multiple forms.

So, per the above comment about the miniatures, it does appear that menageries and monsters are the overarching theme to the next storyline; which Perkins has described as having to do with Giants, inspired by Shakespeare.

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks doesn't have a boss? Giants are pretty boss-like, and conveniently come in tiers of difficulty.

Owlbears are explained by "a wizard did it": maybe it was a Cloud Giant wizard originally, when Giants and Dragons went WWIII on each other? Hoard of the Dragon Queen has plot seeds about the Giants looking to rise again: maybe instead of aliens it was Giants here...

My bet: turning epic fail Quagmire into something half way decent.
A proper reason to raid the archives is to improve where they can, and Quagmire, well, it blew.
Possibly featuring the giddedy-giggedy-githyanki.

Oh and if Giants do Shakespeare, I'm betting King Lear. Cloud Giant King splits his kingdom in three, with much plotting and death among the children, with the PCs needing to choose a side. Also, blinding. A blind, deranged, rampaging frost giant on the loose would be fun.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Oh and if Giants do Shakespeare, I'm betting King Lear. Cloud Giant King splits his kingdom in three, with much plotting and death among the children, with the PCs needing to choose a side. Also, blinding. A blind, deranged, rampaging frost giant on the loose would be fun.

And there's already a 2E Dungeon adventure they could pillage for ideas.

jrowland

First Post
I've been very happy with the three APs so far, but I am struck by how much more excited I am about what the 'Hive Mind' speculates about than the actual product.

jrowland

First Post
I really hope it won't be any variant of barrier peaks in FR

Well, I hope so too. Or rather, I hope its more like OotA is "inspired" by Alice in Wonderland rather than PotA is "inspired" by Temple of Elemental Evil.

Hints, Homage, Grognardia, et. al. are fine - a technological "wtf" or "ancient alien" type re-cast of ancient empires is ok, but a metal dungeon with computers would be a bit too far.

Remove ads

Remove ads