• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Front Page Really slow to load

Bialaska

First Post
Did anyone change something, because currently the boards run smoothly half the time and the other half it's taking like forever to do something.

Merkuri

Explorer
Did anyone change something, because currently the boards run smoothly half the time and the other half it's taking like forever to do something.

Mike said above that MySQL is resetting itself. I believe that what might be happning is that most of the time the boards run fine, very fast, and then MySQL will reset which causes pages to slow down to nothing.

So I think at this piont EN World is either speedy or gone.

Michael Morris

First Post
I have backed up the databases and changed the mysql settings, nearly quadrupling the allocated memory to mysql processes and bumping the concurrect mysql connection count from 650 to just over 2000. We're either going to be fine or the machine is going to melt a hole in the floor at about 1 PM tomorrow :devil:

Well, I doubt it will do that - but it could crash and crash hard, such is the reason for the database backups taken this evening. We'll see.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I'm sorry to report that site performance for me (Firefox 3 from the UK) is getting worse, not better. :(

Edit: The weird thing is it's so erratic. I can clink a link at one moment and it loads lightning fast... two minutes later I'll click another and it can take literally minutes to load... then five minutes later I'll open 5 in a row in FF tabs and they all load almost immediately... ten minutes later, another slow one, and so-on.

Last edited:

Merkuri

Explorer
I haven't seen much of a change myself (FF3, if it maters). The site still seems to work fine for a while, then it'll seem to completely stop responding for a few minutes, at which point I usually go do something else until I see that my EN World tab has lost the "loading" symbol.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
ENWorld continues to be inconsistently slow/fast for me as well. Sometimes the pages will timeout or the connection with the server will be reset. I thought it was just me, but apparently not. Thanks for working on this.

Thakazum

Explorer
Are you on shared hosting? First step in fixing this is moving off that if finances can support it.

Have you checked your slow query logs? This looks like the result of some really slow queries causing subsequent queries to wait.

Disk access speed could also be a culprit.

I suggest moving the wiki to a different MySQL instance.

Another suggestion, which I don't expect anyone to take seriously - remove or significantly reduce the database access occurring on the front page. I'm assuming most of your traffic hits that page. Try caching that page or just make it static altogether.

Remove ads