• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Further Future D&D Product Speculation

Alby87

Adventurer
Just to remember, in Q1 2023 the D&D movie will come out. If they want to chain the releases, a Forgotten Realms slipcase collection can be in order. Remember, they have a lot of text from Volo and Tome of Foes that was "thrown" away with the release of Monsters of the Multiverse.
The three books can be:

1) Playable Races and Creatures in 96 pages, with info lifted from the old book (Beholders, Hags, the Blood War)
2) Faerun Gazzetter for DM (not the player's take of the SCAG, tables with populations, seeds for adventures, governements, deities, cults) (96 pages)
3) Neverwinter City Adventure and Focus (think of Waterdeep: Dragon Heist), also 96 pages.
4) Poster map: Neverwinter/Faerun
5) Dm Screen

plus, digital library expnasion with some of other that couldn't make the cut.

They can make "bigger" book with higher price tag, after Spelljammer, like MSRP 90$, single book 30$.

Now the slipcase collectins sounds like the collector editions of videogames. I understand they wanted to make money, but they should avoid abuse, or it will happen with fandom rejecting superhero comics by fault of too many events with lots of numbers and too much money to be spent. The adquisitive level of the consumers shouldn't be tested too much because there is a limit.

Anything threads don't need be mentioned explicitly but implied with enough subtlely. DS is a +13y, and players should have got enough maturity. Other factor is to sow fields feudal commoners are more productive and motivated to work than slaves.

If Hasbro wants to explore new paths with d20 system, then videogames should be the way, to discover possible abuses by munchkins, and the rules updated faster. WotC doesn't want to publish a d20 Modern 2.0. but some setting (psy-ops or dark*matter, for example) but everything should be retrocompatible with 5ed, or the future 6ed.

Hasbro's plans could change radically if there are a new adquisition, merger, or a partership/licencing deal. 2022 is going to be a very busy year, with changes in the chairs of megacorporations' owners. Not even they can safe what will happen.

Phyrexians as antagonists could appear not only in Magic: the Gathering and later in D&D but also in other no-Hasbro franchises.

* A possible Innistrad-Ravenloft crossover?

* A videogame of Dragonlance is possible to recover the popularity, and with this the commercial value to sell merchandising products. Maybe it could be a mixture of wargame and CRPG, where the PCs are the leaders of squads and later true legions.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I can only hope for Planescape or something Manual of the Planes:ish - that's the only coming book (beside Spelljammer) I'm prepared to buy by the looks of it, unless WotC surprise us all and present something radically new and awesome.

But then again, the current direction WotC seem to go with D&D doesn't get my juices flowing. So I probably take a break when our current campaign wrap up after the summer, and move to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying 4e for a while and run the updated The Enemy Within campaign.

delericho

Legend
We know that there is a classic Setting product coming in 2023, a "revisit" to a Classic Setting already covered in 5E for the 50th Anniversaryin 2024 alongside the rules revision, and two brand new Settings thst are not Magic related in development (we also know that the latter are not the Radiant Citadel, because Winninger said so).

In terms of Settings that might be coming in 2023, I think it is safe to eliminate any licensed Setting from the games history, such as Lankhmar, Rokugan, or Hyperborea. It qlso seems reasonable at this point to not expect microsettings, like Ghoatwalk, Jakandor, Nentir Vale, or Council of Worms (but they might have a future with this slipcase model!).

With those caveats, it seems to me that there four viable candidates for the 2023 Classic Setting product: Birthright, Dark Sun, Mystarra, and Planescape.

Agreed. Of these, Dark Sun and Planescape seem by far the most likely, although each has some difficulties. My bet would be Planescape.

The candidates for the classic "revisit" would seem to be the Eberron, the Forgotten Realms, and Greyhawk (because Ghoats of Saltmarsh counts as a visit).

Since it's for the anniversary, I'd lean towards Greyhawk. At any other time, I'd think FR would be the safer bet.

(Strictly speaking, aren't Spelljammer, Ravenloft, and Dragonlance also now candidates? Granted, they're all very recent, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be revisited very soon. That said, I wouldn't think any was likely.)

Rikka66

Adventurer
Dark Sun was initially conceived as a showpiece for the AD&D Battle System war game for mass combat scenarios, with the development codename "Battle World." An Adventure pitting the PCs against the Sorcerer Kings, with an attendant Battle Game tie in seems entirely fitting.
I'm not really sold on this. Not that I can't imagine it happening, it's a cute hook, but why tie the return of a beloved setting with an aspect of it that was quickly abandoned and never really ended up being associated with the world.

One possibility is branching out on the genres that are part of this new "game with our game" thing. I think a survival game would be quite fitting for Dark Sun. Forbidden Desert is quite popular, after all.

see

Pedantic Grognard
The core problem with Greyhawk as a setting product is, what do you do as the player character options content? An Acrobat subclass of the thief? Valley elves? Everything that's core to classic (1974-1986) Greyhawk will (or at least should) already be in the 50th Anniversary PHB (just as it was in the 3rd, 3.5, and 5th edition PHBs).

So I'd bet heavily on the Realms for the 2024 revisit, given it has a huge reserve of 2e lore and expansion material to draw on, and it'll have been almost a decade since the SCAG (with lots of the SCAG stuff already having been modified/reprinted/updated, too).

After the creation of the software, the playtesting of possible new rules, creatures and "crunch" should be faster. I imagine WotC working with simulation software since years ago.

I have said in the past Dark Sun is perfect for a survival videogame, something like "Conan Exiles".

How can we know "Warriors of Krynn" to be a success? When fandom start to create homebred version of troops and units from other titles, and not only D&D. I mean Warriors of Krynn is only the first step for a D&D and the experience will teach what changes are necessary.

I am afraid Hasbro worries more about licenced products than creating new board games about new or unknown IPs.

My opinion is Greyhawk was created and designed for the first editions, and it is not enough ready to add lots of new elements, form example PC races. How should the social and cultural impact of the spelljammers visiting the Krynnspace to trade?

Capcom, and other videogame studios, could talk with WotC about some characters as "guest artists" in D&D, at least as April's Fool if they aren't too serious. Some IPs are famous again thanks colabs in Fortnite.

1651050849139.png

Remove ads