D&D 5E Further Future D&D Product Speculation

TheSword

Legend
Even some of us old grogs never got to kill Kalak. We read about it in the novels.

I do think if they put out a Dark Sun book it should roll back the setting to the original boxed set, with Kalak alive. That would be a fantastic adventure path. Killing Kalak. But, again, you'd run into all the problems of slavery being such a huge part of the setting. It could be done, of course, I just don't think WotC is willing to do it. At least, not in a way that won't either offend or piss off a large chunk of some group with a stake in the setting. I mean, look at the Ravenloft book. One of the Domains of Dread was a plantation with slavery in the original, but was changed to a prison in the new one. They're not likely to touch Dark Sun without ripping that part out of it.
So if you want to kill Kalak. Dig out the Campaign Hell’s Rebels by Paizo. Reskin it to Darksun, and make Khalak the big bad. Replace the opera with the arena. It is a perfect revolution based campaign across 1-14 levels. If Dark Sun is released as a setting book but not a campaign for 5e then I would definitely run that.

Part 1: The heroes get caught up in a crackdown on freedoms in the city and become designated as rebels.
Part 2: The heroes discover and then clear a hideout in the city, complete with lingering magical protections (an old Veiled Alliance safehouse?)
Part 3: The Heroes seek allies from outside the city (a rival sorcerer king, one of the slave tribes, or the halflings of the forest ridge?
Part 4: The rebellion happens across the city
Part 5: The heroes have to secure the city and deal with the aftermath, including a threat they created themselves in part 2.
Part 6: Their ex ruler isn’t finished with them and reaches out from beyond the grave/the grey. The Pcs have to end the ex rulers threat for good.

Last edited:

teitan

Legend
Planescape surely is too close to Radiant Citadel and Spelljammer. That’s three books in two years based on extra-planar weirdness. Surely they need something a bit more grounded in place.

I’m dying for something like Ghosts of Saltmarsh, that takes a finite place or perhaps two or three and develops it over the course of a campaign. Rather than recreating the D&D equivalent of Star Trek or The Librarians.
You don’t really know yet about either. Spelljammer’s planar component may just be limited to the astral and the Radiant Citadel similarly limited as well.

With all the discussions about a 5e Al-Qadim, the thing is, we have an updated Zakhara product, created with the help of cultural consultants, on the DM's Guild. It seems to do very well with keeping the setting more or less intact while dealing with the previously questionable material and issues. If a DM's Guild product can do that, why not WotC?

Why argue about hypotheticals? Read it (or at least the previews) and see if it's a successful update or not. What was done right, or wrong? How, if necessary, could WotC improve on it? As I said, I'm of the opinion they did just fine. What are others' opinions?

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
With all the discussions about a 5e Al-Qadim, the thing is, we have an updated Zakhara product, created with the help of cultural consultants, on the DM's Guild. It seems to do very well with keeping the setting more or less intact while dealing with the previously questionable material and issues. If a DM's Guild product can do that, why not WotC?

Why argue about hypotheticals? Read it (or at least the previews) and see if it's a successful update or not. What was done right, or wrong? How, if necessary, could WotC improve on it? As I said, I'm of the opinion they did just fine. What are others' opinions?
It’s a good book. They replaced a few words, tried to update kits, and had some good ideas. I don’t like the mechanics they presented, but the overview and lore text they did was great.

That’s why I said upthread that WotC should just hire them to update Al-Qadim.

It’s a good book. They replaced a few words, tried to update kits, and had some good ideas. I don’t like the mechanics they presented, but the overview and lore text they did was great.

That’s why I said upthread that WotC should just hire them to update Al-Qadim.
Right. But people were still discussing it as a hypothetical. I'm simply trying to draw attention to the fact that it's not hypothetical, but something that has actually already been done.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
So if you want to kill Khalak. Dig out the Campaign Hell’s Rebels by Paizo. Reskin it to Darksun, and make Khalak the big bad. Replace the opera with the arena. It is a perfect revolution based campaign across 1-14 levels. If Dark Sun is released as a setting book but not a campaign for 5e then I would definitely run that.

Part 1: The heroes get caught up in a crackdown on freedoms in the city and become designated as rebels.
Part 2: The heroes discover and then clear a hideout in the city, complete with lingering magical protections (an old Veiled Alliance safehouse?)
Part 3: The Heroes seek allies from outside the city (a rival sorcerer king, one of the slave tribes, or the halflings of the forest ridge?
Part 4: The rebellion happens across the city
Part 5: The heroes have to secure the city and deal with the aftermath, including a threat they created themselves in part 2.
Part 6: Their ex ruler isn’t finished with them and reaches out from beyond the grave/the grey. The Pcs have to end the ex rulers threat for good.
As a broad idea, sure. Though I’d argue with the specifics. To even have a chance against a sorcerer-king the PCs would need to be 20th level. A sorcerer-king would laugh and wipe the floor with a 14th-level party. The sorcerer-kings are seven of the eight most powerful beings on the planet.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Planescape surely is too close to Radiant Citadel and Spelljammer. That’s three books in two years based on extra-planar weirdness. Surely they need something a bit more grounded in place.

I’m dying for something like Ghosts of Saltmarsh, that takes a finite place or perhaps two or three and develops it over the course of a campaign. Rather than recreating the D&D equivalent of Star Trek or The Librarians.
Weird is hip.

On the other hand, they do have Dragonlance coming up this year, and next year would be an opportune time for a Dominaria product for the 30th anniversary of Magic, if they want some Basic Fantasy stuff.

TheSword

Legend
As a broad idea, sure. Though I’d argue with the specifics. To even have a chance against a sorcerer-king the PCs would need to be 20th level. A sorcerer-king would laugh and wipe the floor with a 14th-level party. The sorcerer-kings are seven of the eight most powerful beings on the planet.
In 5e, with the right tools, I think they could kill a CR 20-23 creature at level 14. Don’t forget an 18th level Archmage is a CR 12 creature.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
They gotta bring back real half-giants though, not goliaths. I still can't stand that they did that.
We've had Medium half giants for longer than we've have Large ones at this point. Like, seriously, medium half giants existed before Goliaths did and pre-date them by a year. Heck, Goliath's earliest version was just "Take the psionics away from half giants and give them survival stuff"

Faolyn

(she/her)
I am a bit lost imagining which traditional dnd settings they are planning to revamp...

I don't think psionics are blocking Dark Sun... don't we already have psionics in Tasha's book? I rather think the problem is that there are no religions and very restricted magic in Dark Sun. You can't easily market a setting which makes the majority of the core books unusable.
What I think they could do is assign the domains to the various elements in the same way they assign them to gods. If you're a cleric of water, you can pick from the Life, Nature, or Tempest domains; if you're a cleric of Fire, you can pick Forge, Light, or War. They could even create expanded spell lists for each element and say that you can, should, or even have to replace the expanded domains spells in the existing domains with the elemental ones. E.g., it doesn't matter what domain you take. If you're an Air cleric, your 1st-level domain spells are feather fall and thunderwave (or whatever). If they include the paraelements, then they have even more options. Some of the existing domains, like Trickery or Death, might be hard to place, but they might represent rogue clerics (not rogue/clerics!) who eschew the traditional elemental setup or follow a twisted version of a normal elemental or something like that.

They could, of course, simply create four new elemental domains and say the other domains don't exist or are vanishingly rare.

Now, I'm not sure how they would do defiling/preserving magic, because I honestly can't remember how they did it in 2e.

Mystara and Greyhawk, I still don't know what distinct features they have. They are like a less developed version of Forgotten Realms, with less magic, less monsters, less factions, less stories, less everything.
I doubt that either of those settings has "less stories," since there are nearly an infinite number of stories that can be told in any setting--including the real world, which has no magic or monsters. All you need is creativity. I'm sure there are factions in Mystara and Greyhawk, and that those settings have enough room to add new ones without stepping on anyone's toes or annoying the die-hard fans. Provided that they're not just copies of the Realms' factions, of course.

What Greyhwak and possibly Mystara (don't know enough about that setting, beyond its kitchen-sink approach) would need is a bit of a primer on how to run gritty, lower-fantasy games. But they did small primers on different types of horror game in Ravenloft, so I imagine that it would be easy for them to spend a page or two on that. Most of the lower-magic aspects of those settings is that they were developed at a time when there stat and race requirements for classes so many of the caster classes were made rarer. It was harder to become a ranger or paladin (or illusionist) and bizarrely difficult to become a bard. The primer for a 5e game would simply need to emphasize that magic users of any type are a lot rarer than they are in the Realms.

Or, they could just revamp Forgotten Realms again. SCAG was regionally limited, they could cover a different area or zoom out over the whole Faerun. But I would expect this for after the 50th anniversary edition so that they can present another cosmic deity-slaughtering continent-rearrangin cataclism to represent that now everyone got a free feat.
As long as they stay away from the Sword Coast, which has been done to death. Bored Coast, actually.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases