GAME OF THRONES #10:Fire and Blood ACT 10 Chapter 1-2011--Season Ending

Steel_Wind, I see your point. However, in her recent pictures, she still looks quite youthful. Here's one from IMDB:

Photos of Natalie Dormer

Yes, here she looks in her mid to late 20's, but I think her hair and her make-up contribute to that. I don't think it would be difficult in the least to make her look a bit younger, like someone in her early twenties (which, if you go with the 2 to 3 year aging that the Stark children went through, then she would look the proper age).

She's a beautiful woman, and Margaery is supposed to be one of the most beautiful women in the 7 kingdoms. I, too, am curious why they go someone with some obvious acting chops to play a character that doesn't have much of a role until later in the series. I'm curious if they will give her a stronger role.

I do hope they don't write out the Queen of Thorns...I like her.

dravot

First Post
Thus far, of course, Marjorie has had the misfortune to be married to three men (well, a man and two boys) who have had little desire and/or opportunity to see her naked.

Spoilers for anything beyond season 1 are really not appreciated. I'm reading the other books, right now, and you just ruined a major plot point for me.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Dormer? What's wrong with Alessandra Torresani for that part?

My guess is that: (1) the accent might prove a problem; (2) she doesn't have the acting skills of Dormer; and (3) she doesn't have the history of being a fan fave of subscribers who like to watch medieval costume dramas on premium cable?

I don't think her past as being cast in an unsuccessful genre series assists her. For the most part, they want to avoid appeal to that fan base through casting as they already have attracted those fans (as they see it). Certainly, they have never featured that street cred as part of their press material in connection with casting Lena Heady as Cersei (Sara Connor Chronicles).

Other than that, not much. I'd agree with you she looks the part perfectly, and at 24, is a better age.

Doesn't matter. Dormer has been signed so ... done is done.

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
My guess is that: (1) the accent might prove a problem; (2) she doesn't have the acting skills of Dormer; and (3) she doesn't have the history of being a fan fave of subscribers who like to watch medieval costume dramas on premium cable?

I don't think her past as being cast in an unsuccessful genre series assists her. For the most part, they want to avoid appeal to that fan base through casting as they already have attracted those fans (as they see it). Certainly, they have never featured that street cred as part of their press material in connection with casting Lena Heady as Cersei (Sara Connor Chronicles).

Other than that, not much. I'd agree with you she looks the part perfectly, and at 24, is a better age.

Doesn't matter. Dormer has been signed so ... done is done.

Agreed mostly all around. Dormer is fairly one note, IMO, though. They might have gone with Georgie Henley, I suppose for the right age. I'd imagine she'd have the accent, and chops from her Chronicles experience. Maybe too young to age through the role.

I think Dormer in the role of Margaery is full of win. In some ways, I like seeing the TV series differentiate itself slightly from the books; not in terms of fundamental storylines but in terms of nuance and perhaps an altered characterization (Shae for example, who I certainly like). I think Dormer might give the writers the chance to do this and do it really well.

I think now that the season is complete, I can well and truly trust Benioff and Weiss; and if they play with the material, I'm going to look forward to seeing what they do with it.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Aging Robb and Margaery diminishes both characters. You lose a part of the aspect of them as young people who are extremely capable. When Robb captures Jamie in the books it comes across as something completely different, because they have two whole decades of experience between them. Same thing when Margaery faces against the Lannisters. It changes their performance from well above par to just par.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Well, maybe, but even Martin says he wishes he'd aged the characters a bit more in the books when he wrote them. And there's still two decades separating the protagonists from the antagonists (if those terms are even meaningful in the context of this story).

PS., Psst. Don't mention that Margaery faces off against the Lannisters. Don't you know that's a spoiler?!

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
PS., Psst. Don't mention that Margaery faces off against the Lannisters. Don't you know that's a spoiler?!
But,
even the Lannisters face off against the Lannisters. ;)

Maybe we should start a book spoilers thread after A Dance With Dragons is out.

Remove ads