Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

Animus

Explorer
I've been away from my computer all day to come home to this.

Wow. What can I say? It is like I lost a grandfather.

Thank you Gary. Though I feel like :( right now, you have given me plenty of :D :] :eek: ;) moments that made my life more enjoyable for it.

R.I.P.

Talath

Explorer
I never got to say how much he influenced my life. He touched my life, and the lives of others, in ways that most people could not. You will be missed Gary. There will not be another person like you. Rest in peace.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
I'm shocked...

I just found out tonight on a link posted at CNN.

I had no idea Gary was so ill recently. I haven't been online for 2 days and suddenly the grandfather of D&D has passed away! :( :( :( I'm so sorry to see this!

Gary, farewell where ever you have parted to. May the love from your fans be with you. Always.

- W, :(

Steel_Wind

Legend
EGG: The most influential Game Designer of all time

Like so many here, Gary Gygax has had a profound influence on my life. Outside of those in my own family - there are few who ever had more.

A strange think to say about a game designer, isn't it? Stranger still that you can say it with absolute conviction and sincerity.

I'm an atheist, so I can't bring myself to think happy thoughts of Gary in the afterlife. But if I should be wrong in that, the man has earned some serious karma during his life. We should all be so fortunate as Gary Gygax.

But if Gary's adventure truly ended today, then we can say that he was a man who founded a hobby that deeply touched and inspired millions - and continues to inspire them in their daily lives decades later. Gary's creation is the sinew that has maintained long friendships over the course of many decades - and will continue to do so for decades to come.

As a game designer, Gary's impact in the abstraction of hit points, weapon damage and abilities lies at the core of not only every pnp RGP - but in virtually every computer game involving combat or adventure of any kind.

And because virtually every computer game designer alive today is intimately familiar with D&D, in a very real sense, Gary Gygax is quite simply the most influential game designer of all time.

And no matter who it is who may be reading this message - you will not ever lay claim to such an epitaph as that.

Once again, thank you Gary.

Last edited:

Vymair

First Post
The majority of my long-term and dearest friends I met through Role-Playing games. I know I'm not alone in that, that's a truly remarkable legacy...

Best wishes to his friends and family...

Panthanas

Explorer
I'll just mirror what everyone else has stated:

This "hobby" has had a profound impact on my life and who I am, and as such, I owe a great debt to Mr. Gygax.

Thank you for everything Gary. You will be missed, even though I never met you. :(

I would also like to offer my condolences to Gary's family and friends.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases