• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gay Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
No, it's not. Unless you're saying I'm not married? My wife would be mightily upset to hear that.

So why are you married if there's nothing religious about it? Do you really need a piece of paper to stay committed to her and her to you? Suppose the government ruled your marriage null and void today. Would you rush out and cheat on her?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So why are you married if there's nothing religious about it? Do you really need a piece of paper to stay committed to her and her to you? Suppose the government ruled your marriage null and void today. Would you rush out and cheat on her?

I'm not inclined to defend my own marriage on the internet. Suffice it to say, I am married, and there is no religious component to that. I and a very large portion of society are very happy with that - marriage has not required a religious component since the 1800s.

Last edited:

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I'm not inclined to defend my own marriage on the internet. Suffice it to say, I am married, and there is no religious component to that.

I didn't mean to suggest you should. My comment above was rhetorical.

Nevertheless marriage is still a religious institution, and while legally it may require no religious component, it's still a religious ritual, else why do 80% involve a church?

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
We the People are stupid. We could stop this entire argument by getting governmen the hell out of marriage altogether. Marriage is a religious institution. Non-religious people shouldn't even have a horse in the race, but they want a piece of the pie the government shouldn't even be handing out. Why do two people lying about "to death do us part" deserve a cash handout for it? The more people getting "married" the more taxes we all pay to make up the difference. Want to get married? Get your religious institution of choice to perform the ceremony and keep everyone else the hell out of your bedroom. The problem is not and has not ever been wether or not gays can marry. The problem is why ANYONE has to ask permission from Washington to do so.

Except that atheists, pagans and everybody gets married. It's an honor thing. it's an oath thing. it's symbolic. it's frankly non of anybody else's business why anybody says they want to get married so long as it is concentual between adults. None of that arranged marriage between 40 year old men and 13 year old girls (true story, my wife had one of those girls as a student). Religious institution my arse, that was religious rape.

To your last quote:
The problem is why ANYONE has to ask permission from Washington to do so.

the problem wasn't washington. They were happy to recognize anybody who filed married on their taxes long before the SCOTUS decision.

the problem was states like Texas choosing to ignore the SCOTUS decision and deny that right to marry to certain individuals. Texas is the one forcing you to ask permission by the act of saying "no" to some people.

Every time i hear somebody be anti-federal and pro-states rights, it's for their state to be mean to a certain demographic of people.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nevertheless marriage is still a religious institution, and while legally it may require no religious component, it's still a religious ritual, else why do 80% involve a church?

It can be a religious institution. It doesn't have to be. Secular recognition is well-entrenched both legally and socially. Marriages in antiquity took place for myriad reasons - the earliest were strategic ties to allies. It's strongly tied to rights of inheritance, and it pretty much predates recorded history. The Catholic Church didn't start getting involved in marriage until the 1200s.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Marriage is a religious institution.

No, it isn't. Marriage is a social contract. For a long time, there wasn't a whole lot of difference between religion and government, so the rules for social contracts were often encoded in religious practices.

Why do two people lying about "to death do us part" deserve a cash handout for it?

Well, my own parents were very much married until they died. So... how about you take that broad brush and paint somewhere else with it? Please and thank you.

The more people getting "married" the more taxes we all pay to make up the difference.

Excepting, of course, all those who get married, and find their taxes go *up* because of how the brackets work out.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So why are you married if there's nothing religious about it?

Speaking generically, not about Morrus, personally: So that they share all the associated rights that come with being married. No church confers those rights.

For honor, and symbolism, as well. It is one thing to sit with your partner in your living room and saying that you love and are committed to each other. It is another thing to do so in front of your friends and family, having your togetherness recognized by your community.

Last edited:

JRRNeiklot

First Post
For honor, and symbolism, as well. It is one thing to sit with your partner in your living room and saying that you love and are committed to each other. It is another thing to do so in front of your friends and family, having your togetherness recognized by your community.

And you need a piece of paper for that?

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Well, my own parents were very much married until they died. So... how about you take that broad brush and paint somewhere else with it? Please and thank you.

My parents were married for 66 years until my dad died in 2006, but that's hardly the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads