• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) GenCon 2023 - D&D Rules Revision panel

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
As an example we just made characters for Old gods of Appalachia. I think I’ve invested 4 hours just in character creation. Game uses the cypher/numenara system. It’s just reading through all the options a few times. Deciding what I want to be. Going back and checking how certain rules interactions actually work. It’s a major chore.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
As an example we just made characters for Old gods of Appalachia. I think I’ve invested 4 hours just in character creation. Game uses the cypher/numenara system. It’s just reading through all the options a few times. Deciding what I want to be. Going back and checking how certain rules interactions actually work. It’s a major chore.
One the advantages with games with choices regularly parceled out. of course, one of the disadvantages is that you might trap yourself early into a "bad build" or lock yourself out of something you didn't realize was possible.

Best have no choices at all. 3d6 in order. Go.

mamba

Legend
It's attachment to the settings for me, otherwise I'd happily cut ties with WotC.
I don't see why you could not run the setting with LU or ToV rules, or maybe you are doing that and your connection is the setting, not PHB, DMG, MM?

If you do not care about compatibility with official statblocks you can stray even farther

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I am guessing you are being cheeky, but between LevelUp and Tales of the Valiant, the community really is proving that the most important part of "D&D" is that it is official. Kind of depressing, really.
The two you mentioned are basically identical rulesets with some class changes & maybe a few bolt on subsystems. A lot of the foundation level problems that hit the GM are unchanged

Incenjucar

Legend
Emergent systems with lots of fiddly granular moving parts instead if clearer pathways are going to be harder to pick up in general. A game that can cleanly describe what you get for what you pick will be easier to pick up.

Scribe

Legend
If that turns out to remain true it kinda makes the 2024 version a rather pointless waste of everyone's time

Change just enough, hype it enough with advertising (remember its not us here who are the primary target) and watch the new money roll in.

Assuming those changes dont piss off enough folks who then go on and rant for years about how terrible said changes are.

Incenjucar

Legend
Change just enough, hype it enough with advertising (remember its not us here who are the primary target) and watch the new money roll in.

Assuming those changes dont piss off enough folks who then go on and rant for years about how terrible said changes are.
It was also a chance to bring back people who had moved on like myself.

Remove ads