General DCC RPG thread

Please forgive my lapse in manners.

Welcome to the band.

No apology needed! I was just letting you know that I would have questions, as it’s a massive book and quite a bit to absorb!

One thing that I have to give Mr. Goodman credit for is the sense of mystery he has returned to D&D adjacent games. His advice on worldly knowledge of PCs, unique monsters, and the unpredictable nature of magic is outstanding.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I'm considering giving max hp at 1st level. This includes stamina bonus/penalty, but does not include hp from 0 level. A cleric with 8 stamina would have 7hp, while a warrior with 13 Stamina would have 13hp.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear about anybody else's House Rules for DCC.

theCourier

Adventurer
I used some House Rules posited by the Gongfarmer's Almanac (whatever happened to that, btw?) and Raven Crowking, but here's big change I decided to make since I like using Theatre of the Mind:

"Instead of using feet, metres, yards, or any other measurement unit for distances we're going to go for range bands!

Close ==> Near ==> Far ==> Distant

Characters can make 3 Movements per turn, with each range band taking up different amounts of Movement: Close = 1, Near = 2, Far = 3, Distant = 4 (so you'd need more than 1 turn to reach).

For ranged attack purposes, weapons such as handaxes, javelins, daggers, and darts only use a character's STR modifier when thrown at something Close or Near. Slings can use STR mod against Far targets. Distant ranges are for the purpose of a long range weapon's farthest range capability (100' or more).

For spell casting purposes, anything with a range below 30' is considered to be able to cast at something Near, and anything above 30' can be cast Far (e.g. Cantrip's Range is Near, while Sleep's Range is Far, and Magic Missile's is Distant). A spell with the Touch range must be cast Close to the target."

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Heck yeah, I love DCC RPG!

One thing I've been thinking about is getting rid of the halfling and replacing it with some sort of "lucky human" class. Because, as much as Tolkien is one of my favorite authors, when I run and play DCC RPG I really enjoy tapping into other Appendix N authors to make it feel that much more different from D&D. And while dwarves and elves show up in non-Tolkien tales (though, certainly, our conception of them still owes a ton to Tolkien), halflings are pretty much entirely Tolkien.
Why not just get rid of halflings entirely then? The game could certainly survive their removal.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I may have to forgo the character funnel next time I run DCC. I love it, but my players can't seem to handle making a bunch of civilians that are explicitly doomed to die.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The art is fantastic and the tone -- "hey, let's order some pizza and get our asses kicked/kicked some ass" -- is just wonderful.

I'm kind of over how aggressive the funnel culture is and I think, after your players have played a few, it's probably OK to just start them with level 1 characters, especially given how many cool higher level adventures are gated behind the funnel process.

For people just getting into DCC, note that Goodman has several de facto campaigns in addition to the individual modules. You have the Appalachian-inspired Shudder Mountain adventures, the Journey to the Center of Aerth hidden world adventures, the planetary fantasy of the Purple Planet and one could also daisy-chain together all their horror adventures. Lots of possibilities.

I finished reading it. Very good. How difficult is it to run? Seems like a lot of different systems with charts to reference in play.
Somewhat of a pain to run. Purple Sorcerer helps, but there is more than usual paper shuffling and extra rolls. Lots of extra rolls even for simple spells and you really need a solution to keep your dice sorted.

Remove ads