Glove of Storing too powerful?

James McMurray

First Post
"Glove of Storing

This device is a simple leather glove. On command, one item held in the hand wearing the glove disappears. The item can weigh no more than 20 pounds and must be able to be held in one hand. With a snap of the fingers wearing the glove, the item reappears. A glove can only store one item at a time. The item is held in stasis and shrunk down so small within the palm of the glove that it cannot be seen. Many owners of gloves of storing find them to be useful and dramatic ways to store weapons, wands, and-because the item is stored in stasis-even lit torches. If the effect is suppressed or dispelled, the stored item appears instantly. Although it is handy to have two of these gloves, the creation process yields only one.

Caster Level: 6th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, shrink item; Market Price: 2,200 gp; Weight: -."

Additionally, the DMG erratta states that storing and retrieving items is a free action.

Ok, so here's the problem I've been having with them: They effectively allow a party to all have weapons that are keen, flaming burst, and +x in addition to their normal abilities (where x is 1/3 the party cleric's level. Just have your party cleric cast multiple extended Flame of Faith (flaming for one round per level) and Greater Magic Weapon on your +1 shocking, frost weapon (or whatever). Then have the party mage cast Keen edge on it. Then store it in stasis in your glove. sure, the flaming burst part might only last for 30 rounds or so, but that should be plenty of time.

Effectively, you've changed a +3 weapon into a +11 weapon (if the cleric is 18th level or has a Bead of Kharma). Even without an 18th level cleric, at 12th level you're still gaining +6 toy our weapon. All for the low cost of 2200 gold and a few spell slots during down time. If the weapon is in the hands of the cleric, he can gain at least one more plus with Weapon of the Deity.

If it is a quiver of ammo you are using, you can add Lillendel's Fury to the list, meaning each arrow fired splits into 3 arrows (the secondary ones are only +1 though.) Then, store a buffed up bow in the other glove and you're set.

I realize that the enemies can also use this tactic, so it is indeed balanced when fighter types go aagainst fighter types, but other than that, I'm thinking it may be a bit too much.

What do you guys think? should I lower the power level of the gloves by removing the stasis effect? I won't do it during this campaign I'm running, but would certainly consider it for the next (although I don't know if there are any Gloves of Storing in Return tot he Temple of Elemental Evil, which is my next campaign.)

Thanks in advance,

Oogar

First Post
Well, I never really thought of the stasis as a way arround Spell durations. I don't know that I would allow a cessation of the timer on a spell. My personal oppinion. The 2200gp is still a good deal even if it only "stasis"ifies mundane effects (Torch/fire).

HeavyG

First Post
DarwinofMind said:
I would just rule that statis doesn't affect spell durations.

I don't think stasis is described anywhere as a game effect that stops spell durations.

The Greater Magic Weapon spell lasts X hours, whether the sword that bears it is in 'stasis' or not.

Rashak Mani

First Post
I always saw the stasis effect as for Flaming weapons or Sonic weapons that activate on command... not to "hold in stasis" spell durations... just rule that spell duration doesnt stop...

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
James McMurray said:
Just have your party cleric cast multiple extended Flame of Faith (flaming for one round per level)... on your +1 shocking, frost weapon (or whatever).

Sorry to hijack the thread, but Flame of Faith only works on normal or masterwork weapons, not magical ones.

The first line of the spell description in DotF states:
"You can temporarily turn any single normal or masterwork melee weapon into a magical, flaming one."

nick

First Post
do the gloves of storing act like a bag of holding, where nothing sharp can enter it without causing it to rupture? If so, that would eliminate the problem of having stored weapons.

Henrix

Explorer
I suppose that but stasis they meant to add "as per the spell Temporal Stasis".
But this does not say anything about what happens with spells cast upon the subject. I'd rule that they last for their normal duration, even if the subject they have been cast upon is unchanged.

You also need to look up how bonuses stack. Different enhancement bonuses (the +'s in magic weapons) do not stack. You use the highest applicable, i.e. +5.

Read through all the spell descriptions, and you will notice how, for example, Greater Magical Weapon is capped at +5.

Oni

First Post
feel free to house rule it if you wish, but they seem to read as though the save the current state of the item no matter what it is as they go in the gloves. If that current state includes magical effects then that should be saved just as being on fire is. There is nothing to indicate that the clock on spells should continue to run, but on the other hand it mentions that it stores things in stasis. So zero indicators that spells durations continue, one indication that they stopped until the item is brought back out of the gloves.

Remove ads