GM1: Bizarre Bazaar

Robichaud

Explorer
Jinx goes over the marching order and watch shift plans, gives his stubbly chin a scratch, and then nods. "Agreed. In large part. Only thing I have to add is that it might be an idea to swap me or Will out with Phelan in the marchin' order - so he'll be in the center, able t'reach pretty much everyone in case we end up fightin' in cramped quarters. I'll be happy to trade places - ah'm more effective from the back ranks, at any rate."

He grins, somewhat.

[sblock=OOC]Sorry. Tried to get a post in before the weekend, but was thwarted by the table crash.

I'm quite familiar with the rules and issues surrounding the 3.5 psionic rules; feel free to ask any questions you may have. I'll try to link to relevant power descriptions and rules whenever I use them.

This isn't really the place for a debate about balance, but I feel I must point out that I've never found psionics to be very unbalancing. Energy Missile is indeed on the borderline of being broken in the early levels - it's the five targets for a 2nd-level spell equivalent. But in general, psions and other arcane classes are neck-to-neck when it comes to the amount of havoc they can wreak. The biggest difference lies in their resource management; psions, kineticists especially, can "nova" fairly easily - keep up a very high damage output for a few rounds, tossing overchanneled powers left and right, rolling bucketsful of dice. Very impressive to see happening, really, and in large part responsible for the reputation of brokenness.

It is in fact broken, if your campaign is set up in such a way that the PCs can get away with only facing one or two significant encounters per resting cycle - thereby avoiding the down side of the psion going nova, which is the insane rate at which you burn PSPs. The trap inexperienced psion players fall in is nova'ing too much early on and becoming PSPless dead weight for the rest of the day; the trap inexperienced DMs dealing with psions fall in is letting them get away with it. Which is not to say that the DM has to throw the recommended standard four encounters per day at the party, just that he has to keep the PCs conscious of risks and resource management.

When playing, I try to pace myself, unless I'm absolutely dead sure that not going all-out will lose the party a fight. That's half the fun of playing a psion; ending up wondering whether your kicking too much ass too early has just spelled the doom of the entire party. :>

On a more practical level, ie. one pertaining to the current adventure:

For your tactical considerations, at this and the next couple of levels Jinx will probably mostly be a "glass cannon" - using Psionic Shot in combination with Energy Ray or a simple crossbow to do a fair amount of damage at range - though mostly on alternate rounds, since gaining psionic focus is a full-round action, and at this level, often more than that. Anything bigger than a rat getting into melee range will probably end up killing him.[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
Phelan nods. "A wise precaution Master Jinx." He rides ahead of Jinx, conversing cheerfully as you travel.

It is early autumn by the calendar, but the dying days of summer linger on in the long, golden evenings as you travel through the lands between Medibaria and the Stonespike mountains. The land is rolling and green, with sweet-smelling coniferous forests interspersed with pleasant meadows and the occasional gentle creek. Once you get well away from Medibaria, settled lands are sparse, and you go for long periods of the day without seeing any other souls, traveller or native.

Two days down the road, you are riding through a heavily forested area when you come across a fallen tree in the middle of the road, forcing you to pull up. No sooner have you done so than a hideous figure stands up from concealment behind the fallen tree and points a loaded crossbow at you!

"Drop your weapons and your valuables, and we'll let you live," it calls in a raspy voice that is slightly difficult to understand. On cue, there is a rustle from the undergrowth behind you, and a similar figure emerges from the woods, aiming another crossbow.

The creatures are short by human or elven standards, and wiry, covered with hair. They stand in slightly bent postures, and have elongated, rodent-like faces. Sharp fangs and dirty claws are visible.

map

[sblock=knowledge(nature) DC 10]These creatures remind you of rats in some way. Bipedal rats, hmm.... that rings a bell, but you can't quite remember why.
[sblock=DC 15]This looks like something that could have resulted from the disease known as lycanthropy. If that's the case, these creatures are very dangerous. The disease could be contagious!
[sblock=DC 20]Lycanthropes are very difficult to harm with weapons that are not made of silver.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

Heckler

First Post
Untrained Know(Nat) check 1d20+2=9

"Hello, now, you cretins have picked the wrong crew to waylay!," Octavio cries out as he wheels his steed around to face the assault from the rear.

ooc: I suppose I should see where I fall in the init before declaring an action. I will use my Dodge against ratman #2.

Init: 1d20+3=19

Robichaud

Explorer
Jinx is dangerously slow to respond. (Initiative 4.) If hostilities haven't broken out yet by the time he's able to do anything, though, he'll casually reach for his crossbow while trying to talk down the assailants. "What he said! Y'all picked the wrong crew to try and stick up.. I hope for your sake y'have a dozen more folk hidin' in the bushes, and even then we're gonna hurt you for more'n it's worth. Be wise, 'n go somewhere else. Fast."

It too will probably be too little, too late. (Intimidate check: 10.)

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Hmm, I think I may have out-clevered myself and made things unnecessarily confusing. The idea was that I wasn't going to go into initiative order until someone actually attacked, in case someone wanted to try talking. But that seems to have just muddled things up. We'll go with normal initiative instead, which means that Tankard's action may be invalid... or may not. Also, please keep in mind that you're all mounted at the beginning of this fight, and will either have to dismount or make ride checks to control your mounts in combat. All the horses are light horses, unless you purchased something else yourself.

Round 1

The two creatures await your response, crossbows trained.

Octavio wheels his steed and cries a challenge. Then he...

Initiative

? Creature 1 undamaged, crossbow readied
? Creature 2 undamaged, crossbow readied
19 Octavio 18/18, mounted <== You're up
12 Tankard 13/13, mounted
10 Thargon 13/13, mounted
8 William 12/12, mounted
5 Phelan undamaged, mounted
4 Jinx 6/6, mounted

[sblock=Robichaud]I noticed Jinx has 12 (+1) for wisdom, but has +2 listed for his ability modifier for spot and listen. Can you fix this, please?[/sblock]

Robichaud

Explorer
[sblock=covaithe]Good catch, both me and the character judges missed that. Must be from an earlier version of the character. It's fixed.[/sblock]

jaker2003

Explorer
Well, Tank's so heavy that he pushes a light horse to its limits . . . so neither of us are jumping trees. How about dropping off the horse (and possibly using it for cover), drawing the bow as I go, and knocking an arrow?

Heckler

First Post
Octavio tries to dismount smoothly, but gets stuck for just a moment. He approaches the rear bandit, shouting, "Put away that coward's weapon! Face me like a man, you mouse!"

ooc: I like Tank's plan. Octavio will try a Fast Dismount(DC 20). Ride 1d20+4=17 That failing, it takes a move action to dismount, so he'll take a second move to enter melee with #2.

Dodge vs. #2

covaithe

Explorer
Round 1

Octavio tries to dismount smoothly, but gets stuck for just a moment. He approaches the rear bandit, shouting, "Put away that coward's weapon! Face me like a man, you mouse!"

At Octavio's approach, the creatures wait no longer, but fire their crossbows. The one behind the tree fires a quarrel harmlessly into William's shield, but the other's bolt draws a red furrow across Octavio's shoulder. 2 damage

Initiative

? Creature 1 undamaged
? Creature 2 undamaged
19 Octavio 16/18, on foot
12 Tankard 13/13, mounted <== You're up
10 Thargon 13/13, mounted
8 William 12/12, mounted
5 Phelan undamaged, mounted
4 Jinx 6/6, mounted

ooc: rolls. Since all of your initiatives are in a block, feel free to act in whatever order you see fit.

Last edited:

Remove ads