GM1: Bizarre Bazaar

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Sure, it's possible. Have a look at the Ride skill and the Mounted Combat sections for some of the things that are possible. If there's something you want to do that's not listed there, just describe it and as long as it's not ridiculously implausible, we'll work out a way to fit it into the rules. In the case of jumping the horse over the fallen tree... First, to control the mount in combat, you'll need a DC 20 ride check as a move action, since the horse isn't war-trained. Failure means you spend the rest of the round controlling the horse, and effectively can't act that round. Next, from the ride skill, the horse can jump obstacles as part of its movement, so you can make a jump check with the lower of your ride skill bonus (+5) or the horse's jump check bonus (+2 str -3 medium load = -1). The fallen tree we'll say is 4 feet high, so the vertical jump check DC would be 16. Failure would mean... various things, depending on how badly you fail. ;) After all that, William would still have a standard action left in which to attack. All in all, not great odds. If William wants to fight on horseback, he'd do well to buy a heavy warhorse, which would make this maneuver much easier. For this encounter, it's probably better to do as Octavio did, and attempt a DC 20 ride check to get off as a free action (failure means it takes a move action).

Robichaud

Explorer
Feeling his mount startle and stir uneasily under him, Jinx is worried. She may buck kinda like th'deck on a stormy night, but she ain't got sails, or a rudder.. I'd best get off before I get thrown off. He tries a fast dismount and fails, so he'll just dismount to the square W of his horse and ready his crossbow.

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: I'm going to be away and out of touch from tomorrow until sometime on Monday. I might get a chance to update again in the morning, but I might not.

Kenku17

First Post
(OOC: sounds like an interesting idea to think about for later...but your right...BAD idea for right now...hmm...)

William tries get off his horse, but the horse dosen't follow along dismounting (1d20 5=16). Calming the horse, he takes off twoards the coward behind the tree.

[sblock=OOC](If I have this right, I can get to the space in front of the tree, or diagonally, I can get to the space at the edge of the woods)[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 1, continued

Jinx dismounts carefully and pulls out a crossbow.

William tries get off his horse quickly, but the horse dosen't follow along, and it takes William a moment to disentangle himself from the stirrup. He then moves angrily toward the coward behind the fallen tree.

Initiative

? Creature 1 undamaged
? Creature 2 undamaged
19 Octavio 16/18, on foot
Jinx 6/6
William 12/12
Tankard 13/13, mounted <== You're up
Thargon 13/13, mounted
Phelan undamaged, mounted

map

ooc: Still waiting on actions from Tankard and Thargon. You guys out there?

covaithe

Explorer
Round 1, continued

Tankard, too, fails to dismount quickly, and draws his enormous greatsword as he moves threateningly toward the fallen tree.

Thargon slumps clumsily to the ground, and follows Octavio, axe in hand.

Phelan slides off his horse, holds his holy symbol high, and calls down the blessings of Halina.

Round 2

The creature behind the fallen tree smoothly loads his crossbow and fires it at William again, but the bolt flies harmlessly over his head.

The other drops its crossbow and draws a rapier, stabbing at Octavio, but the blow falls short

Initiative

? Creature 1 undamaged
? Creature 2 undamaged
Octavio 16/18, blessed 10 rounds <== You're up
Jinx 6/6, blessed 10 rounds
William 12/12, blessed 10 rounds
Tankard 13/13, blessed 10 rounds
Thargon 13/13, blessed 10 rounds
Phelan undamaged, blessed 10 rounds

Blessed: +1 to attack rolls and saves vs. fear.

map

Robichaud

Explorer
Jinx shelters behind his horse, and tries to gain focus. With the adrenalin from the near ambush still jangling about his system, he fails, getting nothing for his trouble but wasted time and a slight headache.

Remove ads