• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General GM's Closet for the CONAN RPG

Water Bob

Adventurer
-- LITERACY --

This is a neat, optional rule. It's something that can add flavor to a campaign. It's not meant to be an annoyance. It's just another tool a GM can use for the atmosphere and enjoyment of his game.

The Core Rulebook has Commoners start the game illiterate. To become literate, a Commoner must spend two skill points. All PCs are considered literate, but NPCs from some classes are probably not literate (like many races that use the Barbarian class).

This is a simple rule that I lifted out of the new RPG Primeval Thule.

Literacy.

Every character, PC or not, begins the game illiterate. During character generation, after INT is finalized, the character can make an INT check to determine if the character is literate. The check is up to the GM. If the character is a Pict Barbarian, then the check might be DC 15. If the character is a Scholar, then the check should be automatic, at DC 0 or DC 1. But, a Cimmerian Scholar may be who serves as the Clan Oracle may certainly be illiterate. Thus, the check for that character may be DC 15.

The idea is for the GM to decide how likely it is a character is literate, then set the DC accordingly. An Aquilonian rural farmer (1st level Borderer) may have a DC 15 to be literate. But, an Aquilonian Soldier may have a DC 10.

You can probably pick from three different checks (DC 5, DC 10, and DC 15) to cover just about any type of literacy check. Likely is DC 5. Possible is DC 10. And, Not Likely is DC 15. But, the GM can easily pick whatever number he thinks appropriate. For example, maybe Cimmerian Barbarians that live near the border or Aquilonia have a DC 13 to be literate. But, those Cimmerians that live in central Cimmeria have a DC 15. And, those Cimmerians that live near the borders with the Aesir and Vanir have a DC 17.

If a Player Character is not literate, then he can re-roll every time the character gains a level. The GM can change the DC to reflect the character's experiences and traveling companions.

Reading and Writing Languages.

If a GM wants to get even more detailed, then have the character check for each language that the speaks. It may be likely that a Cimmerian can read the runic language of the Aesir (DC 12, let's say), but not as likely that the same character can read and write the Aquilonian tongue (DC 17 on that one).

The GM should pick a DC appropriate to the character, based on his life experience and background. Different character, who are alike in many ways, can easily have different Literacy DCs based on either's personal experiences, geographical locations, etc.

Example.

Yuri The Knife is a character in my game. He is an Argossean, having grown up near the sea and the border with Shem. Through his pre-game character background, though, created by the player, we know that Yuri hasn't spent all of his life in and around his hometown. He spent two years as an Archer, serving King Milo, as a Guardian. The Guardians are a type of Border Patrol that protects the many borders of Argos. Yuri spent those two years chasing Shemite bandits in the hills between the two kingdoms. And, after Yuri has put in his mandatory time for his kingdom, he went to sea. He signed on as an archer on a merchantman, part of the ship's defenses. Three years he spent on the waves, and he has become a good deckhand.

When our game begins, Yuri has just returned home.

The game is pretty liberal at awarding languages. Yuri has an INT 15, with a +2 modifier. So, as GM, I could establish these checks to see which languages where Yuri is literate.

DC 5: Argossean - It's his native language. We'll make this one easy.

DC 10: Aquilonian - Aquilonia is a presence to its neighbors, and I'm sure does a lot of trade with Argos.

DC 15: Kothic - Koth shares a border with Argos, but it is all mountains.

DC 13: Opherian - Ophir shares a border with Argos, and it is also all mountains. But, Ophir does a lot of trade with Argos.

DC 8: Shemetish - Lots of Shemites where Yuri was brought up.

DC 13: Stygian - It's on the other side of Shem. I started with DC 15, but I lowered it 2 points to account for the time Yuri was at sea and could have had dealings with Stygians (maybe in Stygian ports).

DC 8: Zingaran - Likely knows this language. Started with DC 10 and lowered it to DC 8 because it was so likely. Then raised it again to DC 10 because the Zingaran border is opposite where Yuri grew up. Then, lowered it again to DC 8 to account for Yuri's time at sea.

Rule of Thumb.

I start with the three base DC numbers: DC 5 is Likely, DC 10 is Possible, DC 15 is Unlikely. Then, I think about geographical distance and probability of contact with the language speakers. And, I think about if the character has any background experience that would make the check easier. This will move the check up or down by 2 points. That's how I created the checks above. You can see my thinking with the notes beside each language check.

I think it would be appropriate, too, to use either a straight INT check for these rolls, or allow the character to use his Decipher Script skills, if the character starts the game with any ranks in that skill.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Viktor%2BVasnetsov.jpg

Water Bob

Adventurer
-- SURVIVAL and FOOD & WATER --

This is a neat little rule I pulled out of Adventurer Essentials: Iron Rations, which is actually a pretty good short supplement with some nifty ideas and descriptions. DriveThru will run it for free sometimes, and even when it's not, we're talking about hardly anything to buy this pdf.

The rule I like for the Conan RPG is directed towards the Survival skill. The point is made that the skill covers all types of terrain, and it's the same throw for a character to eat off the land in desert as it is frozen tundra or thick tropical forests.

Check out this table.

Terrain Order

1. Desert
2. Plains
3. Hills
4. Mountains
5. Forest
6. Marsh
7. Aquatic

Allow a character to roll Survival checks in his home terrain at no penalty. When he tries to make a Survival check outside of his home terrain, we'll use the chart above to create a penalty. This addresses the issue of a Barbarian from Cimmerian attempting to find food and water in the deserts of Stygia.

To use the chart, simple find how many spaces apart the check terrain and the home terrain are, then multiply by two to get the modifier. Thus, a Cimmerian's home terrain is Mountains, and that's three spaces away from the Desert terrain on the chart. Therefore, whenever the Cimmerian attempts Survival checks in Cimmeria or other like Mountainous regions, he does so with no penalty. But, if he's in the deserts of Stygia, he'll use a -6 modifier on the check.

Simple rule. I like it a lot.

Water Bob

Adventurer
-- FOOD & DRINK --

Ever since I DMed the first Dragonlance adventure, where I learned of Otik's spiced potatoes, I've tried to use that tool in all my games. Instead of being generic, I try to describe to the players exactly what type of food is available at the tavern that they've just entered. It adds to atmosphere and immersion. I try to pick food appropriate to the region and people. It's about roleplaying, right?

For example, in Argos, if and when the players send their characters into a local inn, I'm going to describe the fish that is being pan-fried, whole, set on a bed of spiced shredded lettuce and topped with chopped almonds and diced tomatoes. This is served with a decent local vintage wine, cool well water, or spiced tomato juice. It sounds good. It's a bit exotic (I haven't seen that dish before in real life--I just made it up based on what I know grows around the Inn...and Argossean eat a lot of fish). And, it will be part of what makes the encounter in the inn memorable.

Here is a basic list of foods that the GM can use as a starting point when describing what is on the menu.

- Eggs, butter, milk, cheese (from cow or goat)
- Bread, porridge (from wheat, rye, barley, oats)
- Turnips, potatoes, beans, cabbage, asparagus, beets, carrots, radishes, cucumber, pickles (several items can be pickled).

- Apples, berries, grapes, raisins, and other fruits
- Nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, peanuts, etc).
- Roast meat (cow, pig, sheep, deer)

- Poultry (chicken, duck, goose, turkey)
- Fish, eel, crab (saltwater or fresh)
- Ale, wine, mead, beer, water, juice, coffee, tea

- Spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, salt, sugar, etc.

TRAIL RATIONS

The core rule book's description suggests a few items, and page 220 discusses Thirst and Starvation. Most trail rats last about two weeks. Usually, these items are wrapped in cloth.

Humans need 1 lb. of food per day.

Humans need 1 gal. of water per day (2 or 3 gal. in hot climates)

Typical trail food items: Hard, dry cheese. Jerky (dried beef, pork, or fowl, usually, though horse meat isn't uncommon in some locales). Dried fruit or vegetables. Nuts. Biscuits, bread, and hard cakes.

Hardtack - This is an extremely dry, hard-cooked biscuit made from flour, water, and salt. This is baked so hard that it will keep for months if it is kept dry. And, since it is so hard, it must be soaked in water or wine in order to eat it. It is a bland food--a bare necessity. People often pour bacon fat over it in order to make it more palatable.

Water Bob

Adventurer
-- DAMN GOOD FOOD! --

It is said that an army travels on its stomach. Somebody has probably said the same about a band of adventurers.

When the party camps out in the wilderness, one person can be selected to cook. Roll a Profession - Cook check. If successful, those who eat the food gain a +1 morale bonus to any attack roll, saving throw, or skill check for the day. If the roll is 5 points higher than needed, then the bonus jumps to +2.

Randomly roll the DC in secret. Roll d20 +5 to determine the difficulty for the check, for a result of 6-25.

This can be used in combination with food gathered by using the Survival skill, but not all food gathered that way is appropriate for a good meal. It's one thing if a character is eating rabbit stew than it is raw roots freshly dug out of the ground. Therefore, consider that, if the Survival throw is even, the cooking check can be made with the food gathered. If the Survival throw is odd, then the cooking throw cannot be made.

Under some conditions, the GM may rule that the cooking rule cannot be used (usually when there isn't much to eat, as in the depths of the great deserts or during the hard northern winters). Of course, if you use the Survival Check Terrain Modifiers that I posted above and apply the same modifier to the secret cooking DC roll (as a positive penalty, to make the DC higher), then that may be sufficient to make success on the cooking throw impossible.

For example, Raan makes a Survival check of 16, which means he can feed himself plus 3 other people for the day. Since the check is an even number, then the cooking rule can apply. If the cooking check is successful, then Raan and the three other people gain a +1 or +2 morale bonus for the day.

This is a good way to spend PC funds. Spices are expensive. Plus, a cook will need to carry at least a minimum amount of cooking gear. In the novel, Conan The Outcast, Conan is found cooking river eels in a soup, using is helmet. Look to the Barbaric Treasures book for a list of foods and spices. Some of these things can be quite expensive, depending on how rare the supply in the area where the PC is attempting to make a purchase.

I find it easiest to buy spices in units equal to the amount needed by a single man for one day.

Water Bob

Adventurer
-- LODGING --

I'm pretty stingy with the money I put in the game for the PC to find. Conan always seemed to be broke in the stories, and the game has the High Living rule (which I enforce with rules like the one in this post). Remember, the prices in the rulebooks are rock-bottom starting points. The GM should always feel free to increase (and even greatly increase) the price of a service or item. Just look to the clothing rule in the Core book. The prices listed are for Commoners. Merchants pay 5 to 20 times more for their higher quality, more elaborate clothing items. Nobles pay 50 times the base price for their items. And, royalty has garments worth 100 times the base price.

You don't have to go that high, but if you think the area and circumstances dictate, then raise the heck out of the price of an item or service.

Player - Ten silvers? To sleep on the floor of the tap room? That's pretty damn pricey!

GM - A caravan is in town. The inn keeper can get it. That's the price today. It's 15 silver if you want a place by the fire. You want a space or not? They're going quick.

If you like, you can take the idea given above for the Morale Bonus to give players a tangible benefit for spending their characters' coin on more expensive lodging or food.

For example, if Poor quality food is purchased, there is no benefit other than a full stomach. Common quality allows for an automatic +1 Morale Bonus on the next day. Good quality allows for a +2 Morale Bonus.

Water Bob

Adventurer
-- REPUTATION --

People often ask me the differences in the Atlantean edition of the rules and the Second Edition. I usually point them to two main areas: The rule change in Second Edition that makes a Grapple Check easier (it's just one check instead of the standard d20 3.5 two checks to touch and then grapple), and the greater emphasis that Second Edition has on low level game play (besides the examples of Humans in the Beastiary, Second Edition includes a short section that defines what a "level" means).

Now, I've found a section of the rules that was actually truncated in the Second Edition--the rules for Reputation. The Atlantean Edition includes a large chart of Repuation Modifiers that is missing from Second Edition, but AE also includes a different table (than is in 2E) to show the effects of Travel and Distance on Reputation.

Also, AE goes into some detail defining the Nature of Reputation where as Second Edition condenses this into a single paragraph and largely leaves the definition up to the GM.

Some will see the 2E version as a more rules-lite and easier-to-use version of the same rules. Others will want the detail missing in 2E that is included in AE.

I'm just reporting the differences here.

Remove ads