D&D 3E/3.5 Gnome Poll

Have you ever house ruled gnomes out of a game?

• No way, I love the little guys!

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • I haven't needed to, nobody's ever wanted to play a gnome.

Votes: 19 16.5%

graydoom

First Post
Gnomes are cool, and I haven't had any bad experiences with gnomes being super-overpowered or anything. I've seen a couple of Gnome Illusionists played, and they do fine.

Dryden

First Post
Re: Overpowered

I'm pretty sure they're not overpowered, that's not why i'm asking. Me, and my friend (who comprise 2 of the 3 DMs of our group) seem to have an unreasonable dislike of Gnomes. We both disallow them in any games we run, but neither of us can really explain quite why. I just don't like them.

Dry

One of the first characters a player had in my game was in 2nd edition as a Gnome wizard with a 19 intelligence, who would do things like calculate the exact trajectory to bounce a lightning bolt between the walls of a wide cavern so he could hit every target.

In my game now, though, gnomes are fey, because of all their magical powers. I had a gnomish druid named Pinchook Magook for a while, and she was irrepressibly cute, but now we have Iolus "Inky" Flintflindercandle, a cleric of the gnomish Trickster Deity who is always writing with his ever-flowing inkwell.

Gnomes are great for comic relief, or just a little quirkiness. :)

(Oh, and there _was_ that one gnome I drove insane so that all his illusion spells were real. . . .)

Cyronax

Explorer
Gnomes in a different light

In my world, the gnomes were once the most powerful magic users on the planet. They had even surpassed the elves at one point. The best and brightest amongst them went on to create spaceships, artifacts, and even created the Plane of Shadow by creating permanent vortices to the Positive and Negative plane on a demiplane on the Ethereal. The "Sigil" of my world is actually in the very center of that plane. Its called Shadow'sebb.

IMC gnomes get +2 Int, -2 Str. I changed their culture just because i didn't feel that they gave much to the story.

The gnomes (like the elves) grew ambitious, and even though the old races are practically extinct, the remnant of the gnomes are still very powerful. Most are N, CN, NE, or CE. They are schemers and often plot against each other.

For awhile I disallowed gnomes as a player character race, because a player in my campaign played his CN gnome so deviously, ambitiously, and so close to my vision of gnomes that the other players were overshadowed.

In my previous campaign, the party learned to fear everything about gnomes, and they would sooner run than face down one of my gnomes.

Here's the entry for gnomes from my Races file.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gnomes: These little demihumans are feared by humans and dwarves alike for their devious and crafty minds and often sarcastic sense of humor. Greed is a virtue among gnomes, and their larcenous reputation is quite apt. Gnomes are also feared for their skills with illusionary magic, something few human wizards have any skill in.
Unlike their appearance presented in the Player's Handbook, the gnomes of Tsai-Nau (a mysterious wilderness known to have a loose border with the Shadow Plane) have wiry, gnarled physiques. Their skin is usually heavily tanned, their eyes are blue, lavendar, or green, and most gnomish males are bald. Females and those gnomish men who actually grow hair have either black or silvery-gray hair. The men usually shave off their hair if they grow any. It's a mystery if the gnomes are just reclusive hermits studying mad ancient tomes, or if they have dark cities somewhere on the frontier. Many historians believe that the "nameless horrors" that drove the Mytherians (humans) out of the Tsai-Nau so long ago were either conjured or somehow controlled by the gnomes. Some gnomes live amongst their old enemies engaged in various crafts, but most gnomes make an effort to keep to themselves.

C.I.D.

eXodus

Explorer
i love gnomes.

when i get the chance to play in a game and not dm i will be playing a gnome rogue/illusionist named Cedrick Graveldancer. i have pictured him in my mind for quite a while. i see him as keeping his head shaved aside from a whisp of white bangs and having a long, thin mustache and soul patch. the mustache he keeps in greased points.

i even have a voice and some annoying little quirks for the little fellow.

gnomes are the best!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Gnomes Rock

I have run entire all-gnome games culminating in 20,000 of the wee folk attacking a village to save the clan daughter

.btw my gnomes are only 15" at the tallest and are (possibly) elemental/fae. 10 gnomes working together can lift a ton, and their ability to cooperate and build monuments (or seige weapons is legendary.

I have had games where I have banned elves (hate them), dwarves (didn't fit the setting) and halflings(didn't need them)

But NEVER Gnomes:)

:D:mad: :p ;)

Duganson

First Post
My only Gnome character was a Savant Named Romungo 'Clipper' Blargenflat in my friend's Saberhagen Swords world. He was an interesting little guy who ended up with MindStealer (the Sword that controls everything within 300 miles). He tried to emulate Loki in everyway, so many practical jokes (mostly the moving hot-foot). :D
All in all Gnomes are just as versitile and playable as the other races, while fittind into an interesting archtype easily. The spells that they get coupled with a +2 CON make excellent Druid or Ranger characters, and their small size makes them proficient rogues. With any class that you choose the favored class of Illusionist adds that little extra flavor that makes Gnomes one of my favorite demi-human races.

Thysl in Silver

Remove ads