GNS Theorists wanted: Making my 13thAge and Sentinel Comics games better

aramis erak

Legend
Having run SCRPG, while I am sure that a person steeped in GNS theory would be able to analyze it, I don't think it was created from a very GNS-centered point of view. It is a post-GNS game, so GNS is perhaps not the best tool to figure out how to run the thing..
Mixed narrativist-gamist. no significant concessions to simulation. It's roughly comparable to Firefly on that score: both are more naarativist than gameist, but very much not fully either. It's a touch higher on compleity than Firefly, and about equal to MHRP.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"The game is not interested in simulating superhero physics, it's combat is focusing on other aspects of it." This doesn't even make sense. Much like GNS theory, it is a bunch or words being thrown around that don't describe really anything.

Mod Note:
You were already warned to keep it constructive. You've shown no sign you intend to, so you are done in this discussion.

And, relative to what @Blue said, when you prompt your players for such things, or for things that might normally be established by the GM in more traditional play, they might not believe you're giving them that authority, or they might need a little time to come up with something like that on the spot, so be sure to give them that time (at first; they'll get faster with practice).

If, on the other hand, they clearly don't want to be contributing in that particular way, you can let it slide.

Edit: Fixed a typo.
Commenting at the hazard of being pretty far behind in the thread...

I would personally say that the most valuable technique in this kind of way, and in a situation where the players are very set in their D&D-esque ways, is the PbtA-style "Ask questions, use the answers." Just constantly invite input on specific points from the players and then USE IT. I think 13a has some NICE hooks for this, like "How do you think this relates to your Icon?" or even more concrete questions like "Who here might serve The Archmage?" or whatever.

This technique is good in terms of actually improving play on an immediate basis, but also in terms of introducing the players to a more authoritative role in the game's fiction.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads