Going Nuclear:1D&D

Stormonu

Legend
@Shardstone - Hasbro hasn't "won" any more than Sony did during the PSP2 to 3 switch. If they have cut out 3pp players, all their doing is shooting themselves in the foot the way Atari did back with the 2600 and Nintendo did with the NES when they tried to reign in 3pp.

Random Task

Explorer
@Shardstone - Hasbro hasn't "won" any more than Sony did during the PSP2 to 3 switch. If they have cut out 3pp players, all their doing is shooting themselves in the foot the way Atari did back with the 2600 and Nintendo did with the NES when they tried to reign in 3pp.
Apple definitely won reining in the Power PC clone era.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Stranger things and Big Bang theory and any other 'nerd' exposure needs to choose to make a fake TTRPG or take D&D if they want to communicate that through nerdom... because nobody would get "Tonight is Rifts night"
Don't underestimate how much pop culture can teach people about things and influence demand.

Big Bang Theory had an episode where they played an MtG knockoff. The fans tried to find out what the game was, and when they learned it didn't exist they made one.

If they had an episode about Rifts, more people would have known about Rifts.

Don't underestimate how much pop culture can teach people about things and influence demand.

Big Bang Theory had an episode where they played an MtG knockoff. The fans tried to find out what the game was, and when they learned it didn't exist they made one.

If they had an episode about Rifts, more people would have known about Rifts.
Yes but we the players need to get Rifts to the writers rooms attention... that is why I say pick another game and go full hog salesman mode telling everyone it's the greatest new nerd thing.

(again it doesn't have to be rifts but I wouldn't mind if it was)

I tried, a while back. It didn't end up going very well (I suspect just some personality mismatch with some of the players.) We got through a single adventure and then didn't meet back up again.
For me there's also the problem that 4e isn't really good to be played online, contrary to what most people believe. It's so much easier to play 5e if you're going to use a VTT.

Physical minis+dungeon tiles+power cards is the way to go.

Can't say that's been my experience, but I have a DM with a subscription to roll20 and we've been aggressive about macros for our powers, so fair enough!

Apropos of the real topic, I'ma go buy a PF2 book - core rules probably - from my FLGS on Tuesday (they're closed Mondays).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
For me there's also the problem that 4e isn't really good to be played online, contrary to what most people believe. It's so much easier to play 5e if you're going to use a VTT.

Physical minis+dungeon tiles+power cards is the way to go.
For real! For all the accusations of it being videogamey, 4e is way harder to play virtually than in-person with battle mat and tokens!

Zardnaar

Legend
For real! For all the accusations of it being videogamey, 4e is way harder to play virtually than in-person with battle mat and tokens!

I thought it was an advanced form of the old D&D miniatures game.

Has some influence I suppose from video games eg encounter powers are essentially cooldowns.

Apart from that ...

Remove ads