D&D 5E Good art and Really bad art in the 5e PHB

S

Sunseeker

Are there two different versions of the PHB? There is no art on page 110, but there is art on 105, 112, 116 and 120. Also, the gnome teaching is on page 204 in my book.

Oh I surfed though it and tried to memorize the pages, I might be off.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Anyone want to throw out any theories as to the design thinking that if you're not a Drow, you seem be suffering from hypothermia?

WTF WotC art department?! Not only do you use a DROW as the "iconic elf" character...but then when you DO give us what I can only suppose are supposed to be the "normal" ACTUAL PC RACE of elves that it makes sense for people to use, they're all blue or lavendar!? Yeah, I got the whole reference to the FR "Moon elves" and that some of them have blue-tinged skin...or blue HAIR?! I think there are 2 depictions of a non-blue-skinned elf. One that's that horrifying female elf magic-user (with the long scroll) in the yellow (a FR "sun elf" I guess? But I guess I should just be happy she actually has blond hair) and the other is that horrifying female elf magic-user (with the owl) with BLOO BLUE hair.

WTF?! High elves? Wood elves? I don't see either. I see the book saying, "You can be a drow (which we highly recommend cuz we just HAD to use one as the racial icon)" or "You can be blue! OO or purple! Isn't it just soooo weird n' fantastical n' diff'rent...ya know, cuz they're, like, elves. That's soooo kewwwwlzzzz!"

Next to the halfllings...which there is simply no defense for, in any way. They are an atrocity against the very idea of D&D halflings and a (thankfully sparcely used) stain across the generally well illustrated manual. I didn't think I could hate halflings more than the square-eared flat headed corn-rowed "wandering river people". But KUDOS to you, WotC! You managed it without breaking a sweat. Just horrible...but NEXT TO THEM, the elf artwork is my biggest disappointment.

Also, why all the humans look doughy and frumpy...I do not know. It hardly inspires one to become a human PC. But that is negligible compared to two of the canon four races being horrible. 2 of 4. That's 50% people. That's a big fat "F" for, quite a literal, "FAIL!"

Ya botched the halflings and the elves. How do you...Who...How can you botch the halflings and the elves in D&D?! Big disappointed thumbs down.

MoxieFu

First Post
The Halfling perspective

I have a theory about the Halflings, not that I agree with why, but here goes. I wonder if the artists were told that when drawing the Halflings to look at them from a Human perspective, as in looking down at them. The heads are going to appear larger since they are closer to the artist, and the feet will seem tiny as they recede into the distance.

Well it's the only thing that makes sense to me so, eh. It's only a theory.

Stalker0

Legend
As always, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Other than the halfling art, I think they did a wonderful job with the artwork overall.

I loved a lot of 4e, but the PHB design was horrible to me. So sterile and clinical, it felt like a reference manual instead of the tome I was used to seeing. The 5e book just feels so much better!

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
The problem with this is, if you didn't have the boar in the picture, how would you tell those from humans, or maybe half elves, since the pointy ears? They're so close to being human, particularly the character on the right, that they lose distinctness.

That is how they've been depicted, as small humans.

rjfTrebor

Banned
Banned
i would totally re-buy the phb at full price if they replaced the halflings. it's silly, but they strike a cord with me.

Remove ads