• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

good career options for a slacker?

fusangite

First Post
Well, I read the other thread you posted attempting to elicit sympathy from us about how you feel like a loser. I suppose you want us to encourage you to try to get a good job and stop being so down on yourself so that you can argue with us. While I agree this is a win-win situation, in that you get concern and pity and we get a person to mock, I'm going to try and skirt around that.

I will do so in part because I approve of the Taoist life in which one endeavours to keep one's head down and not desire too much. I highly recommend The Big Lebowski as the best-ever defense of this mode of living in a North American context. However, in your particular situation, there are problems: you have poor hygene and non-existent social skills. Because you have vehemently asserted (see other thread) that these are not things you want to fix, this obviously limits your options. Were you willing to address those things, I think the range of options might be larger.

Now, although I realize that you don't actually want sincere answers to this question, I'm going to do what all the other posters are doing and take what you are asking at face value. (You see I don't buy the Asperger's diagnosis: I think you are impersonating someone with no social clue in order to elicit sympathy for what is really an intentional expression of your self-loathing through self-sabhotage. It's a tactic I have used in the distant past myself.) But before I can answer your question at face value, I need to know what kinds of work are unacceptable to you because they are too social/icky/difficult/physical/whatever. Now I realize that you're planning to reject all the proposals on that basis in a page or two but I thought I might get this out of the way now so I can actually come up with a good Taoist job for you.

So, tell us all the reasons none of the proposed jobs will work for you and then we can get down to brass tacks.

Humanophile

First Post
Folks (and by "folks" I include "mods");

Please check the initial date of Hida's post. Not that I didn't find the last thread amusing, but this is only coming back up due to an act of threadcromancy. The old thread was closed for a reason, let's not dogpile on this one too please.

P.S: Since this will probably turn into "How to hit on girls II", one piece of advice for the man himself if he pops his head in here. As you try to put your life in order and build your confidence, online dating might be a stepping stone. You'll have the time to think over what you want to write, and all those tricky body-language cues will become nonissues.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads