D&D 5E Goodberries and Eberron

ChaosOS

Legend
Goodberry wine originated in Five Nations and were made by a small sect of druids. It became popular and expensive as a way to get around the Mournlands lack of healing.

Also Tharashk has always been about prospecting (ECS paragraph on Zolanberg), but finding the veins is only half the battle. That's why they prefer dragonshards, where finding the damn things goes a lot farther.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Note that it specifically says prospecting. So they find the resources, but other people exploit them - just like they find the criminals, but other people prosecute them.
It's close enough to question why there isn't any "House Monsanto."
Sure, they don't till the soil or own the deed to the land, but someone could breed a magi-crop and make money off of that.

MarkB

Legend
It's close enough to question why there isn't any "House Monsanto."
Sure, they don't till the soil or own the deed to the land, but someone could breed a magi-crop and make money off of that.
True enough. I suspect the main reason is that they'd inevitably gravitate towards the same tensions and controversies as House Vadalis, only slightly less interestingly, so although there's a space for them economically, there isn't so much of one narratively.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I ran into some similiar thoughts from a different product. One of the side benefits of Matt Colville's Strongholds and Followers for Druid's is that the natural nuts and berries inside their domain act like Goodberries.

Which really opens up some interesting thoughts, some of which can still apply to this, even though it seems we are fairly certain that wide-spread goodberry production isn't possible due to the spell only making 10 berries (which are still cheaper, though likely use similiar properties to the Bead of Nourishment in Xanathars).

Amongst my musings, I've figured that the biggest actual benefit to this is time. As you all have said, unless the caster is doing the work pro-bono a goodberry costs more on the open market than you would normally pay for your two or three meals a day. But, think about how long it takes to cook and eat food. Even with our modern conveinces and freeze dried foods, it is pretty difficult to cook and eat a lunch in 20 to 30 minutes. A "real meal" like dinner can take upwards to an hour. It would be reasonable to assume that if you were cooking and making food for a family in DnD, even at two meals a day, you might be spending two or three hours on food.

Goodberry takes six seconds to cast and six seconds to eat. And covers the same nutritional ground. If it is assumed that 6 hours of sleep, 2 hours of light activity to make it a "Long rest", and a few hours of the day is spent on food... you could potentially uptick the productivity of a populace by introducing Goodberries. Because people aren't spending time on those activities anymore.

I think it would only be 2 hours, and 2 hours for ten workers... might be worth the cost of getting a goodberry cast. Emotionally and socially though, I think it leads to a dark place if it is enforced by a company instead of chosen by a community. But, it makes for some fun Eberron scenarios I bet.

While a flask of goodberry wine can heal a commoner from near-dead to full health (8 HP will do that to you) and contains 5 doses, it cost 250 gp. So, basically, 50 gp for each life-saving draught. Remember a commoner wage is 2 sp a day, on the basis of a medieval-modern workload of 250 workdays he makes 50 gp a year (and must spend nearly all of this on taxes, food, lodging and family expenses). Despite the widespread magic of Eberron, logistic-changing magic is out of reach from most commoners and the purview of the bourgeoisie.

Having a druid cast goodberry to feed the hamlet is a possibilty, but said druid would probably find a much more profitable employment providing goodberries for the local lord so he and his retinue can go hunt dangerous beasts like a boar without too much risk (I was impaled, now is the time to chew some DruidGum (tm) ). I don't see many druid magically feeding peasants in a capitalistic economy.

Remove ads