Goodman Games' Next Reincarnation Is Expedition To The Barrier Peaks

Following on from Into the Borderlands and The Isle of Dread, Goodman Games is next bringing 1980's sci-fantasy adventure Expedition to the Barrier Peaks to D&D 5th Edition.

OAR-3-mockup.jpg

Announced at Gary Con this weekend, Expedition is due out in September. Like the others in the Original Adventures Reincarnated series, it contains the original module, handouts, and an updated 5E version.

The adventure features a crashed spaceship, robots, ray guns, and plant people.

You can find out more directly from GG's website here.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They won't let Good Man Games do Desert of Desolation because it's been tied into FR lore and history (and yes I know it wasn't originally set there, but it got moved there during a key point in FR history).

DoD was the first adventure and the first game product for the Forgotten Realms, I'm talking about the second FRified version.

It also massively shaped the Eastern half of FR, radically forcing it to change from Ed's original vision, especially the South East of Faerun which had a huge ripple effect.

See the mention of Mulan race, the Durpari race,
and the Imaskari race, as well important geographical areas perdates the grey box that otherwise introduced the realms, because of DoD 2.0.

So of all FR adventures I'd argue that DoD had the biggest impact shaping the realms.

DoD changed key things about the old Kingdoms region, which later shaped the Unaporoachable East Region, and eventually even KaraTur.

For the old empires region first the themes were shaped by DoD, then it was detailed in The Old Empires regional book, then Powers and Pantheons, then Lost Empires, then the Spellplague 4e FRCG, which radically transformed it, then the Sundering (SCAG, last parts of the Brimstone Angels Saga), where it was a mix of the old and new elements, in a new time.

So they won't give up a module so vitally to a huge chunk of their default/star/favoured setting to another company.

I agree DoD is probably not going to be licensed, but not because of a latter-day FR connection. They are unlikely to give it out because it is perfect for a Ghosts of Saltmarsh/Curse of Strahd style project, maybe mixing in some other desert modules and rules for desert exploration...

I've thought about the DA modules as being perfect for Goodman Games, being as old school as physically possible and providing a good wacky sandbox that WotC probably won't go for.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I doubt we’ll see the Slavers series, since the 1e versions already got a deluxe reprint a few years ago.
So did S1 and S2, both of which are in Yawning Portal. But the premium reprint of Dungeons of Dread came out in 2013, two editions of Dungeons & Dragons ago. I don't think that means much at this point.

Goodman Games seems to be leaning in on the earlier classics. Maybe the next one will be a Forgotten The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth / Temple of Tharizdun pairing?
That'd be a great pairing, but I don't know that it would appeal to the fans as much as these first three choices have. (Which is likely also why Silver Princess wasn't chosen.) All three they've picked so far are easily among the most popular old school adventures.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I agree DoD is probably not going to be licensed, but not because of a latter-day FR connection. They are unlikely to give it out because it is perfect for a Ghosts of Saltmarsh/Curse of Strahd style project, maybe mixing in some other desert modules and rules for desert exploration...
I concur. There's almost definitely enough compatible Dungeon adventures they can flesh it out with, too, along with good desert/Pharaonic monsters.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Didn't the Slavers series already get a 5e reprint for the playtest or am I mis-remembering?

That was a straight reprint of the AD&D modules, easu enough to use with the playtest and I'm sure people did. That was 6 years ago at this point, and has been out of print for a long time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Thoughts-

1. I recently ran the Goodman Games B2. They did a great conversion! I think I already had a post on it. Lemme see ...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...the-Borderlands-On-Running-an-Updated-Classic

There it is! Quick version- they do a great job.

2. I have mixed emotions about this, given that Expedition is (IMO) a stone-cold classic.

a. On the one hand, Goodman will do a great job, and will probably provide a lot of great and interesting additional historical information and interviews. FUN!

b. On the other hand, it's pretty easy for me to convert on the fly, and this means that WoTC will probably NOT be updating it for 5e. Which means (again, IMO) that 5e will not be doing much genre-bending, "fun" types of adventures. One of the things that I miss from 1e is the sense of adventure, that the worlds were separated by a thin veneer; that your campaign and another campaign co-existed, and that it was plausible to have both "straight" fantasy, as well as undiscovered aliens and crossovers with gamma world. Oh well.

2b was my initial thought as well: makes sense from a branding perspective, I suppose, though WotC knows people will do as they will.

You know, I just discovered that last night. I had completely forgotten about the Dungeons of Dread book. Don't know how, as it's a lovely collection!

They are picking the greatest hits, true. Village of Hommlet (uncoupled from ToEE) would be a solid choice; that's also one of my favorite 1e modules, and pretty legendary as well.

So did S1 and S2, both of which are in Yawning Portal. But the premium reprint of Dungeons of Dread came out in 2013, two editions of Dungeons & Dragons ago. I don't think that means much at this point.

That'd be a great pairing, but I don't know that it would appeal to the fans as much as these first three choices have. (Which is likely also why Silver Princess wasn't chosen.) All three they've picked so far are easily among the most popular old school adventures.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases