• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grabbing Your Players' Attenion and Keeping It- How to do it?

Chriskaballa

First Post
I seem to have a little problem, or maybe it's my players, or even our surroundings for that matter that is the problem. The players just can't seem to stay focused, and it's really, really starting to hurt me and my feelings.

Out of a 4 to 6 hour session, the time spent actually doing things in my D&D game is 45 to 90 minutes. And it degrades every week. Soon we'll just throw the D&D game in the trash along with all my hard work as a DM and we'll just be friends.

As I said, it could be that I'm just not a good DM and cannot keep the players interested. Or it could be my players that are so easily distracted. Maybe it's our environment, full of distractions- in some cases other games, in some cases other people/gamers.

In any case, we have to get more done! Does anyone have any tips on how to get this game back on track? My lust for gaming grows every week and is less satisfied each week with the game that is headed downhill! Help!

-Chris

Last edited:

praetorian

First Post
I have the same problem some times, though not as severe as yours seems. First thing that helps I have found is prevent teh players from diverting their attention by giving them nothing to divert it to. So play in a room with no tv on or music playing or with any books, sports equipment, games, etc. Also, unless you keep pressing the game forward, things can hit a slow part and players can drift. If these sorts of things don't work out, start putting time limists on player actions. I am starting giving my players 30 second to decide what to do, so that they have to pay attention and think quickly. If they are being real problems, you might consider negative enforcment, like the red d100 of exp loss that I sometimes use for stupid actions and the such.

Oogar

First Post
Mmmm, Sorry. I would put a big EN OH for negative XP. Just my opinion, but reward those who stay focused, rather then abusing the distracted

spacecrime.com

First Post
Have you tried running shorter sessions of 2-3 hours? Those might be more focused.

(Or you might get nothing at all done -- in which case you can go back to running the 4-6 hour games.)

yours,

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
First of all next session, before you start to play - tell your players how you are feeling about this and perhaps you can get them to make a concerted effort to focus. . . Perhaps there are tips THEY can give you to help . . .certain aspects of your DMing they like or examples of good or bad things. . .

It helps to be prepared as DM - players can become very distracted if they have to wait for you to look things up or shuffle throuhg notes.

Remove distractions: No non-players should be present and the defintely should not be allowed to talk with the players while the game is happening. I don't like having non-players present - but my general rule is - if you are here while we are playing - shut the hell up!

This also means that the TV should be off. No playstation, no computer. Nothing. EVen skip music if you have to.

ALWAYS tell people when they are going OT or being too silly. Tell them straight. Tell them immediately and tell them to stop.

I sometimes just say "hey!" and clap my hands loudly if the group talk devolves into being out of game and off-topic.

If that fails. Let some one else try their hand at DMing and/or get another group of players.

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Pound 'em silly with a bag full of dice!!

Seriously though, tell them what's on your mind and ask for input. Be prepared to take a little criticism. Then try to adjust to those standards (at the same time your players should be doing the same). If the game still digresses perhaps you should swap out and let someone else run the game.

spinjammer

Explorer
Good morning,

How many players to you have?
If you have too many players, you might not be able to give
everybody enough to do and they start to do other things.
Or does it take ages to start a game, because everybody is talking to everybody else, as they only meet when playing?
Or do you restrict your players too much, and push them along
your adventure, so they might lose interest, because it doesn't
matter what they do?

A little more information about your group would be helpful.

Spinjammer

Black Omega

First Post
This can be tough for any group. the key is definitely limiting distractions. Computers could be a -big- help for the group when we had a lan set up every week. But it was even more of a distraction. We'd have someone MUSH'ing. Someone else looking at webpages. Someone with solitaire going. Without computers the group is much more focused.

Talking to the players is also an excellent idea. If they caxn work on focusing more it would help. It also makes it easier for you to now and then step in with a "Ok guys, focus!"

Rashak Mani

First Post
Make a "no out of character" session... my friend enforces this with his players... everyone has to stay in character and everything you say is "in game" unless you raise your hand (usually technical game questions only).

Try it a couple of times... older players may not like it ... but younger and newer players might get more focus and fun from it...

Remove ads