Grade the Powered by the Apocalypse (PbtA) System

How do you feel about the PbtA (Powered by the Apocalypse) system?

• I love it.

Votes: 35 24.8%
  • It's pretty good.

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • It's alright I guess.

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • It's pretty bad.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I've never played it.

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • I've never even heard of it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

There should also be MORE PbtA games out there than there are. I hope that people learn about these games (and other games out there) and explore playing them with their friends.
I'd generally agree, though I'd also say I've gone from seeing PtbA as "one of the best systems ever" to merely "a good approach", over a decade of playing PtbA games.

I'd also personally say there's a tonal issue with a lot of PtbA material, not one that's "problematic" or whatever, but rather one that's a bit same-y, even across games with completely disparate genres, and I don't think it stems from the actual rules as much as the culture around those rules. I feel like sometimes people are reaching too hard to do things the most difficult and roundabout way possible, when PtbA can be used quite straightforwardly - as Blade said "Some [motherhuggers] are always trying to ice-skate uphill" - and I think that's true of like, a significant subset of people who design using PtbA.

Still big mad I failed to convince my main gaming group that we should play MASKS though. I don't often fail to convince them to try a game, but when I do it's always something I know the bastards would actually like.

niklinna

satisfied?
I also really want to squeeze in more sessions. So when I have a free Saturday, I love helping out game designers on Magpie Games Discord - they have monthly playtests and community designers need playtesters - its not just PbtA either. I am always learning from these - often more so than full games as you really get into the nuts and bolts.
Never heard of them—tell us more!

(My first Blades in the Dark Crew was named Magpies. Alas, the GM got busy and abandoned our campaign.)

MacDhomnuill

Explorer
D&D makes it into a core needed skill. I'm pointing out that this is a choice.
The most complex math in DnD is basic adding and subtraction, you make it sound like its particle physics or some thing. I was just thinking about how as the national math averages have gone down so has the virulent hatred for any kind of math or charts in ttrpgs has gone up. If players can’t do basic 3rd grade math there is a much larger issue going on than its not fun.

The most complex math in DnD is basic adding and subtraction, you make it sound like its particle physics or some thing. I was just thinking about how as the national math averages have gone down so has the virulent hatred for any kind of math or charts in ttrpgs has gone up. If players can’t do basic 3rd grade math there is a much larger issue going on than its not fun.
I have a degree in mathematics. I can do it. But precisely because I'm good at it I find gratuitously awkward and unnecessary number crunching to be both ugly and off-putting.

Kannik

Hero
Late to the party to this one, but our group has dabbled in a couple of PbtA games and I've gotten/read a gaggle more. While they've worked out well enough I think we could use more playtime experience to fully get into the right groove for these types of games. I also appreciate learning in this thread how these games can vary quite wildly between themselves in terms of how they use the PbtA framework and what is their expected flow. That will help me in getting a better handle on them.

I'm really keen to give The Warren a try, I think the concept/theme/setting would really sing under these kind of rules!

Remove ads