D&D 5E Great reskins, monsters, adventures, items..?

werecorpse

Adventurer
I have a decent collection of stuff (1e-5e but almost no 4e) and am always looking at reusing or adapting stuff that I have. I just read a post about a reskin of Sunless Citadel adventure to make it a jungle ruin with grungs replacing the goblin cohort which sounds great.

What other reskins of adventures, monsters etc have people used that worked?

Shiroiken

Legend
AD&D adventures can be converted pretty easily. My current campaign is often called the Greyhawk Classics campaign, because I'm running the best (more or less) of the Greyhawk Adventures by EGG. Temple of Elemental Evil required only a moderate amount of work (I had to change some creatures in the Elemental Nodes). Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun and the Hidden Caverns of Tsojcanth needed more monster replacements until I got Fifth Edition Foes. Against the Giants had scale and balance issues, so it was even harder. Oddly, Descent into the Depths of the Earth has been the easiest to translate so far.

If you do this, you'll need to cut down the treasure by at least 90%, since the amount of treasure assumed paying for training. Depending on your group and playstyle, you might want to retool the encounters a bit. When using giants or other large creatures, make sure to check the size of the encounter works (sizes have changed quite a bit since then, and you might need to change the scale a bit).

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun.

Sweet memories for that one! Of course, I was the DM, not a player, so I didn't suffer as much as their PCs did. It was tough, but they won through.

Remove ads