• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Greater Invis and Stealth checks, how do you rule it?

From my standpoint, the continual debates over invisibility and hiding--starting from the beginning of the edition and continuing unabated until now--are strong evidence that there is no single "plain" reading of the sidebar in Chapter 7.

At some point, evidence of divergent readings constitutes evidence of ambiguity. Given the level of continuous debate on this topic, I think we're far, far past that point.

There are no meaningful debates.

Google it. The argument is settled.

A vocal minority still don't get it and won't no matter how hard you explain it to them.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
So if you have 6 giants banging metal swords on metal shields and shouting war cries, while their war elephant steeds a trumpeting. They will hear the invisible wizard in robes who is standing still?

For the sake of gameplay, probably so. Any uncertainty as to this would be resolved when the wizard takes the Hide action.

It looks to me like the rules related to this have been quoted repeatedly in this thread, but you're just not having it. I don't see what quoting them again will accomplish. I've told you what I do. You've said what you do. There's nothing more to say.
You can of course play it however you want. But stop claiming that the rules say things they do not. The truth is that the rules regarding this are vague.

'Notice' is not same than 'know location'. You can hear noises thus noticing that someone is nearby without knowing where they are.

You don't bloody know where an invisible creature is with any certainty.

Its a rough 5' by 5' area (if you wanna go grid specific) or more accurately '
Have enough of an idea to be able to shoot an arrow in their vicinity/ race forward waving a sword side to side and have a slight chance of hitting'.

You dont know precisely enough to make AoO against them or to target them with most spells and special abilities.

Maybe (if youre lucky) hit them with an arrow if you fired a few in that direction.

In which time THEY CAN ATTEMPT TO HIDE by being quiet VIA THE HIDE ACTION forcing you to lose track of them completely if they're successful.

I don't need google, I have the PHB. If you always know where invisible people are why would the rogue's ability have to spell out "hidden or invisible"?

An invisible creature is not pinpointed even if its not hidden. You simply have a rough idea where they are (attack at disadvantage).

The Rogues ability lets you ignore that disadvantage for attacking an invisible (but not hidden) creature.

It also lets you pinpoint hidden creatures, making them not hidden relative to you.

Oofta

Legend
An invisible creature is not pinpointed even if its not hidden. You simply have a rough idea where they are (attack at disadvantage).

The Rogues ability lets you ignore that disadvantage for attacking an invisible (but not hidden) creature.

It also lets you pinpoint hidden creatures, making them not hidden relative to you.

It doesn't say that at all.

Blindsense
Starting at 14th level, if you are able to hear, you are aware of the location of any hidden or invisible creature within 10 feet of you.​
I don't know how it could possibly be any more clear. A 14th level rogue class ability is needed to be automatically aware of the location of an invisible creature that is within 10 feet.

Remove ads