Greenflame Blade Cantrip from SCAG, Courtesy of EXTRA LIFE

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page. The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this: 1st level 1st target: normal attack effects 2nd target: ability mod fire dmg 5th level 1st target: normal attack effects...

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page.

The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this:

1st level
1st target: normal attack effects
2nd target: ability mod fire dmg

5th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 1d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 1d8+mod fire dmg

11th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 2d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 2d8+mod fire dmg

17th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 3d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 3d8+mod fire dmg

Is that right?

Strikes me as a lot more narrow than it looks at first blush.

Costs an action. Seems pretty useless for most classes that get the "Extra attack" ability. I don't even know if Eldritch Knight's War Magic makes this good. Probably good enough to take. Decent for other classes, but not many of them want to be involved in melee at higher levels. Pretty crap for levels 1-4. Only hitting secondary targets within 5 feet that you can see is pretty limiting, too. It's all fire damage, too, which is pretty meh at higher levels.

It isn't clear to me if you're supposed to make the melee weapon attack using the normal attack ability, or if you're supposed to use the spellcasting attack ability. The attack is explicitly part of the spell, unlike the paladin smite spells and ranger strike spells.

Strikes me as a lot more narrow than it looks at first blush.

Costs an action. Seems pretty useless for most classes that get the "Extra attack" ability. I don't even know if Eldritch Knight's War Magic makes this good. Probably good enough to take. Decent for other classes, but not many of them want to be involved in melee at higher levels. Pretty crap for levels 1-4. Only hitting secondary targets within 5 feet that you can see is pretty limiting, too. It's all fire damage, too, which is pretty meh at higher levels.

War Magic makes it good for a while. At level 7, you'd have a choice between making two attacks and keeping your bonus action for other things like Expeditious Retreat or dual-wielding or Crossbow Expert, or using your action and bonus action to make a Greenflame Attack and a bonus action attack from War Magic. The Greenflame adds an extra 2d8+Int damage (spread across two targets) relative to the regular Attack Attack option, although if you're fighting only one creature it's merely an extra 1d8. At 11th level it's a choice between three attacks, or two attacks and an extra 4d8+Int (spread across two targets), which is still pretty respectable, especially against creatures that are resistant to normal weapons like Banshees and Wraiths. At level 17 it's an extra 6d8+Int, but at 20th level it's now costing you two attacks instead of one. Ergo, Greenflame is good against pairs of opponents at levels 7-10 and 17-19 if you don't have another bonus action, and not trash at levels 11-16. At level 20 it could be trash compared to other options like Sharpshooter or GWM Power Attack; depends on how many high-AC opponents are in the mob.

Against mobs, Thunderclap for 4d6 to everyone within 5 feet is probably preferable to Greenflame. Also, thunder is a better damage type against everyone except mummies and trolls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I find it kind of ..boring. I'm not one to worry about the math side of roleplaying, so it really doesn't jump out at me. I would prefer a few more utilitarian cantrips.

aramis erak

Legend
I can see the power in this spell...

For a 5th+ Eldritch Knight...

primary opponent is heavily up-armored (Say AC25)... but has a low-armored ally within 5'...
You attack the AC 13 ally, and autohit the AC25 bigbad... Yeah, I can see one of my players abusing the hell out of this one.

I can see the power in this spell...

For a 5th+ Eldritch Knight...

primary opponent is heavily up-armored (Say AC25)... but has a low-armored ally within 5'...
You attack the AC 13 ally, and autohit the AC25 bigbad... Yeah, I can see one of my players abusing the ---- out of this one.

There doesn't even have to be a low-AC ally nearby. The spell says you must attack "one creature within range", not "another creature within range." Ergo you can cast this spell on yourself, hopefully with a very tiny weapon that does little damage, and then use the Greenfire to attack the AC 25 bigbad (or PC). It's a sacrifice play.

Remove ads

Remove ads