D&D 5E Greyhawk: Pitching the Reboot

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I kind of wonder if the success of Mork Borg points to the general direction WotC might want to take with a rebooted Greyhawk. Obviously toned-down and more mainstream-oriented (and with actual words on pages), but in the same way that I think Planescape was at least in part a reaction to World of Darkness and so on, I think a Greyhawk that was a reaction to Mork Borg might make some sense.
what is a mork borg?

Butter scraped over too much bread, but with stylish layout.
That is horrifyingly accurate, and yet Mork Borg is pretty damn popular with a certain part of the TT RPG crowd (basically RPG hipsters, not Twitter people, they're different groups), and the sheer coolness of it is likely getting in some people who were otherwise slightly "Hmmm" about RPGs.

I guess what I'm saying is that having a punk-ish style and a really good layout and really strong visual design, together with a sort of minimalist vibe could potentially work out really well for a rebooted Greyhawk.

Here's Mork Borg: MÖRK BORG — MÖRK BORG CONTENT

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I loved reading this. I'm a geezer and I play Greyhawk (slightly homebrewed) because: a) I know it well and b) think it has true virtues - though it has a lot of funky liabilities as well. One thing that was cool about how Greyhawk evolved in 3e through 3.5e was the fact that players were writing cannon. I suspect the players today are among the smartest and most creative. I think it would fascinating to see a well curated fan based cannon. Greyhawk is distinct and yeah, kinda bleak, VERY political and definitely dated (but hopefully in a charming way). The blatant racism and sexism of the setting should be addressed head-on and compellingly. I don't know about marketing or how to "woo the younguns" but I know that the most obvious point made about quality can't be stressed enough.

I think some of the schmaltz should be kept (like they did in Witcher). There's no question that any reboot will have its detractors. You just can't please all the people all the time.

I think since most of the iconic monsters and many iconic figures spring from Greyhawk, an overarching "grand unification theory" could be amazing (like the Pixar grand unification theory). One that would explain why some of the iconic dungeons are so stupid and non-sensical and trace the origins of great (but under examined) races, e.g., Doppelgängers.

I should mention, if you enjoyed this, that there have been a few prior posts on Greyhawk-

If you go down to entry 5 (Greyhawk Greyhawk Greyhawk) I think that's most of them?

Aldarc

Legend
That is horrifyingly accurate, and yet Mork Borg is pretty damn popular with a certain part of the TT RPG crowd (basically RPG hipsters, not Twitter people, they're different groups), and the sheer coolness of it is likely getting in some people who were otherwise slightly "Hmmm" about RPGs.

I guess what I'm saying is that having a punk-ish style and a really good layout and really strong visual design, together with a sort of minimalist vibe could potentially work out really well for a rebooted Greyhawk.

Here's Mork Borg: MÖRK BORG — MÖRK BORG CONTENT
In general, I find that the style detracts from my engagement with and enjoyment of whatever substance others have assured me is there.

Remove ads