GREYHAWK, THE GOLDEN ERA CY963: CHAPTER THREE

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir thinks to himself as he act, ~Wow, what an impressive display of combat. I wonder if when I'm twice the druid that I am now if I will be anywhere close to comparing to the display of prowess just demonstrated by Dewydd.~

Lathir, who had already prepared flame strike before entering the portal, culminates that decision. He steps up and to his left to clear his view as he targets the 2 orcs closest to his current position (6 & 4).

OOC: GM, feel free to make necessary rolls.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
You Done Made Her Daddy Mad!

Lathir steps forward, preparing to unleash righteous wrath; but at the last moment, he sees that he cannot target his originally intended victims without hitting Dewydd. Quickly, he re-adjusts his spell, which will catch 2 of the Orcs (1 & 6) and Dorinda as well.

SPELL AREA:

00 - Skorane Map 001g2.jpg

GM:
Total damage: 31 pts. (16 Holy, 15 Fire)
Lathir automatically breaks through the Orcs' spell resistance.
Lathir rolls 24 to break through Dorinda's spell resistance (success.)
The Orcs resist 5 points of fire damage. (Save vs. 10 pts.)
Dorinda resists 10 points of fire damage. (Save vs. 5 pts.)
Spell DC: 10+4+5 = DC: 19 Reflex for Half
Orc 1: Reflex save 16 (fail) - Takes 16 Holy, 10 Fire (26 pts.) [-4, Dying]
Orc 6: Reflex save 4 (fail) - Takes 16 Holy, 10 Fire (26 pts.) [-4, Dying]
Dorinda: Reflex save 35 (save) - Takes 16 Holy, 2 Fire (18 pts.) [-5, DEAD]

Lathir says, "I shall remove the taint of corruption from this forest. Get thee gone, demoness. You do not belong here!"

As he does so, a huge column of flame strikes the area where Dorinda and two of her Orc minions are standing. The Orcs scream in agony, as their skin begins to burn; they collapse immediately, silenced almost instantly by the intense flames. Surprisingly, none of the surrounding vegetation or trees ignite from the flames. This is truly a righteous fire, meant to harm only despoilers and enemies of Nature.

Dorinda screams as well, but her pain is of a completely different sort; the flames themselves inflict minimal discomfort, but the burning blue essence, known as the Divine Fire, which makes up the heart of the Flame Strike spell, scorches her severely, tearing apart her corporeal body! "NOOOoooo!" she screams, as the holy essence burns her to ash. Unlike summoned monsters, who simply disappear and return unharmed to their own place of origin, Dorinda's ashes remain where she fell; evidently, she was not simply summoned, but GATED, meaning that she came into this world wielding the power of her TRUE form. Unfortunately for her, this also meant that the Divine Fire was able to truly destroy her essence, completely, utterly, and forever. Dorinda The Damned is no more!

GM:
DM NOTE: Party now has enmity with Graz'zt for destroying one of his favored lieutenants!

Current Positions:

00 - Skorane Map 001g1.jpg

SYLVAR: It's your turn. What do you do?

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
OOC: Enmity with Graz'zt means friendship with Sphynx Nazcavisthene! Woohoo! The enemy of my enemy is my friend. ;)

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
POSTING FOR SYLVAR

GM:
Sylvar's player is out of town, so he requested that I make his post for him.

Sylvar steps out of the underbrush, just ahead of Lathir's position, brandishing his Composite Longbow; he says a quick prayer while nocking an arrow, and fires at the closest Orc.

"Thor Odinson, see my valor and find me worthy, imbue my arrow with the power to smite my enemies."

As Sylvar takes aim, he feels a wave of calm wash over him, as his arrow begins to glow!

GM:
Sylvar receives a +20 bonus to his next attack.
Sylvar receives a +5 bonus to damage on his next attack.

GM:
Attack roll = 35 (hit)
Damage: 1d8+1+5 = 9 points.
Orc #4 is injured; arrow struck him in the upper right thigh.

Amazed at his prayer being so directly answered, Sylvar lets his arrow fly, sticking the Orc in the upper right thigh. The Orc squeals in pain as the arrow slams home!

Current Positions:

00 - Skorane Map 001h.jpg

VALE: It's your turn. What do you do?

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
MINOR CORRECTION

GM:
At Lathir's request, I am making a minor position correction that will not affect gameplay.

Current Positions:

00 - Skorane Map 001j.jpg

It's still Vale's turn.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale Attacks

~ Too easy. Ah Gussie, you'd enjoy this wouldn't you? Chew toys aplenty. ~

For all their success, Vale feels uneasy. He had thought to use a silence spell against the bitch-demon to insure she could not speak or cast verbal spells; however, Dewydd's withering attack and Lathir's holy fire had dispatched her (as well as three other red orcs) with surprising but definitive lethality. In fact, it was strategically...beautiful. However, despite it's effectiveness, something was not quite right. The haste (in order to prevent detection of the scrying) with which the portal had been used to scan the ruins and well area had prevented Vale from getting a better grip on what was there. Maxwell had provided a quite detailed account of the area while they dined in Caltaran together, as well as the surrounding region. Vale had plied him with additional mead, ale, and bacon in order to extract as much information from him as possible. Honestly, Vale had wished Maxwell had accompanied them. He could tell Maxwell had been demoralized. To dish out a pasting to these blokes might have improved his spirits. Fare thee well, Cousin.

As it was, several things were wholly different than Maxwell's narrative: a) no red orcs or bitch-demon, b) spider and spell-conquered elf nowhere to be seen, c) no noise downhole in the well (and no blue glow from Vale's axe), and d) no clay golem. The foliage and ruined walls were as Maxwell described, although Maxwell did not mention the number of trees in the clearing (much less the runes warding the perimeter, clearly an alarm that they should not want to trip...thank goodness for the portal mirror). Trees. And that big one east of the well. The portal had given an aerial of the location from the southwest. The tree was larger than the rest; quadruple the size of the other trees, perhaps 15 feet in circumstance. It dominated that side of the well.

A thought crossed his mind. ~ That's. Not. Good. ~ Vale cursed under his breath, and then smiled. "Time to beat the children."

He advanced quickly, not at full charge, but steady past Sylvar as his elven bow struck its own brand of terror. He drew his axe quickly on the fly moving down the hedgerow directly into the flank of the closest red orc to the north.

~The hobbit has stuck this one. Hold him up a moment longer. ~

Vale draws Able, his magical axe as he moves to flank and attack the grievously wounded Orc (#5). His attack catches the between his ribs, breaking several and puncturing a lung. The orc crumples, presumably dead courtesy of Tam's sneak attack and Vale's coup de grace.

GM: I corrected your error; Tam attacked Orc #5, not Orc #3.

OOC: Rolz: #1d20+9 = 20; If hit, damage = #1d10+1 = 9 Did not take flanking bonus nor Combat Expertise Bonus; No charge due to ability to reach Orc #5 without it.

GM:
You're not flanking to begin with. You have to be directly opposite of an ally (in this case, Tam) to flank. See closeup map below.
Total damage taken: 22 pts. (Tam 13 + Vale 9)
The Orc collapses in a heap, but he's still breathing.

GM:
You are not close enough to cleave. The squares you can cleave to are marked "C" on the closeup map below.

00 - Skorane Map 001-closeup.jpg

Vale curses again in dwarven, and prepares himself for a fight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Current Positions at the end of Vale's turn:

00 - Skorane Map 001k.jpg

As the Orc collapses under Vale's axe, the party beholds a terrifying sight: the ILLUSION of the dead Oak tree fades, as the Clay Golem begins to move toward Dewydd!

The golem advances 15 feet, without making a sound; his steps are slow and deliberate. He is not in a hurry, and seems single-minded in his task.

GM:
Chance for berserk: 1%; roll = 64 (Not berserk.)

DEWYDD: As the golem attempts to grapple you, it provokes an attack of opportunity. Roll your attack, and let me know what AC you hit.

Current Positions after golem's movement:

00 - Skorane Map 001l.jpg

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Dewydd's AoO: 12 (miss)
The golem begins a grapple.
Melee touch attack vs AC: 14. Roll = 15 (hit)
Golem grapple check: 22
Dewydd grapple check: 17
The golem grabs hold of Dewydd.
Throw: Well AC: 12; Golem ranged attack = 19 (hit)
Reflex DC: Base 10 + Size modifier (4) + Strength modifier (7) = DC: 21
Golem throws Dewydd 15 feet, aiming for the opening of the well. Dewydd manages to grab the edge.
15 feet falling damage from being thrown = 1d6+1d3 = 4 pts. damage.
Dewydd can use a full round action to pull himself up, by making a STR check, DC = 10 + damage taken (4) = DC: 14. He can do this on his next turn.

The golem grabs Dewydd casually, as if he were a child picking up his favorite toy. He raises the valiant warrior above his head, and throws him into the well!! Dewydd screams, a mixture of fear and frustration, as he flies through the air!

At the last moment, however, Dewydd manages to grab the edge of the well, and prevent himself from falling!!

Dewydd is now hanging precariously on the well's inner wall.

The Orcs finally begin to move at this point, attacking nearby enemies!

Orc #4 charges Sylvar, screaming at the top of his lungs, gripping his Falchion with both hands, and misses, as Sylvar easily sidesteps the clumsy attack.

Orc #2 charges Lathir, but manages to connect, giving him a severe laceration across his left upper arm.

GM: Lathir takes 14 points of damage.

Orc #3 takes a step forward, and brings his big Falchion down on Tam's collar bone, biting deep for a GRIEVOUS wound!

GM: Tam-Tam takes 18 points of damage.

Current Positions:

00 - Skorane Map 001m.jpg

Tam-Tam, it is once again your turn! What do you do?

Waynan

Adventurer
/ ​Dear Yondalla, Save me. /

Having so few hit points left, I fall back into the shrubbery behind me. I am in square N,8; so, I go into N,9 then to N, 10 for cover.

I see Respen as I fall back and cry out:

"Please...Help."

GM:
If you move more than 1 square, you will provoke an Attack of Opportunity (AoO) from your opponent, which will probably result in your untimely demise. I am going to move you to a good square, where your friends should be able to intervene on your behalf.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tam-Tam retreats 5 feet, around the tree, back into the underbrush, hoping that his opponent will not follow. He is in a very precarious position.

Current positions:

00 - Skorane Map 001m1.jpg

Respen: It's your turn! What do you do?

Remove ads