• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Greyhawk: Why We Need Mo' Oerth by 2024

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Not me. I never really put that together.

Thread created!

Vaalingrade

Legend
In my defense, it was the first thing I thought of and typed out but then I noticed you asked for multiple examples and put the other stuff above it.
Delete everything else you mentioned.

From the setting.

Just make the setting the Sea of Dust. Just a desert with weird magic and bizarre transforming magi and... oh lord, did you just make me care about Dark Sun? Well Greyhawk (hopefully) has way less cannibal halflings and slavery.

Delete everything else you mentioned.

From the setting.

Just make the setting the Sea of Dust. Just a desert with weird magic and bizarre transforming magi and... oh lord, did you just make me care about Dark Sun? Well Greyhawk (hopefully) has way less cannibal halflings and slavery.
Sea of Dust, alien mountains, and a Demon Empire across the sea — these three things and only these three things would make for a pretty insane take on Greyhawk. Thanks for the idea!

Saying GH is not necessary because we have got FR is as saying we don't need X-Men because we have the Avengers, or we don't need an action-live serie of Green Arrow because we have got the Batman cartoon.

WotC knows some DMs would rather to use their own homebred settings using elements from previous published settings.

One of the signs of the return of GH should be some actual-play show set in Oerth. Maybe about a reverse isekai, PCs from Oerth visiting and exploring the "Earth" from "Gamma World", or about the arrival of people from far lands, for example the new PC races appeared in 3.5 and 4th Editions.

GH has got not only deities but famous characters, Tasha, Moderkainen and company. What about the novels with the iconic characters from 3.5 Edition?

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Really though, if we want to stress the science fantasy angle, I would think Blackmoor would be a better choice than Greyhawk.

Eh, that doesn't work well either- partly for IP reasons that might get ... confused.

The other reason is that "Blackmoor" exists within two separate settings - as a place in Greyhawk, and as a period of time (the far past) within Mystara.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I hope that's enough. But it really feels like they'd have to do something big to get the majority of the fan base interested. Like how about making a good D&D movie set in Greyhawk?
Are the majority of the D&D fan base actually interested in a singular particular setting that already has been published? Why does Greyhawk need to meet these goals that other setting don't. Let WotC do their thing (put in some player facing material and some monsters) and release the setting and let it sink or swim on its own merits. Like they've done with every other setting they've released.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads