D&D 5E Greyhawk?

Nellisir

Hero
As someone who started gaming during 2E, well after Greyhawk heyday, I'd appreciate if a kind soul were to tell why it is such a well-regarded setting. I know the basics, sure, I've read about it online, but I've never really understood what makes the setting tick, what is it that engenders such fan loyalty for what is ultimately a fairly generic sword and sorcery setting? This question isn't meant to be taken confrontationally, but as a sincere query on my part.

It's also worth noting that if there weren't a fairly generic sword & sorcery setting, someone would have to write one.

Another thing about Greyhawk is that Evil is a much stronger force there then in other settings. With pretty much half the map belonging to evil forces. Hell an Evil Demigod personally rules a section of the map. The realms sort of have good and neutral run the place but evil is a constant threat to them that keeps popping up to harass them.

practicalm

Explorer
The design of Greyhawk specifically doesn't have strong forces of good. That's supposed to be the players fighting the evil. This seems more heroic than having a setting where there are forces of good that are as strong or stronger than the evil forces.

Henrix

Explorer
It's pretty dark and grimy. The theme for my current campaign is 'hardboiled' with shades of grey.

Realpolitik is the way things are run. Good and evil aren't as strong and obvious as in the realms.

You can see that the dynamics is still reminiscent of the days when Law-Neutrality-Chaos was the alignment axis. A much more interesting axis than Good vs. Evil. In the latter you have to pick the Good side, it's almost a tautology.
Striving for Neutrality as balance gives a more varied play - you need both, but not too much of either.

It is also a world were magic is less mundane. Most citizens don't see magic lanterns daily. There aren't portals all over the place.
It is a mediaeval world, not one where magic takes the place of technology.

There are very powerful wizards (and some others), but they are rare and enigmatic - and generally selfish. There's politics among the wizards.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Good insights on why Greyhawk has such appeal. There is obviously more than one reason, and even though I was never a fan I wouldn't mind seeing support for it. It's a very "mineable" setting, if they write it up correctly. So even if you don't run a Greyhawk campaign, you can easily take elements from it (pun intended ;) ) and drop it into any D&D setting. Which of course gives me an excuse to buy it and read it. Which I will do. Even if I don't run it. Because I'm that guy.

Nellisir

Hero
It's pretty dark and grimy. The theme for my current campaign is 'hardboiled' with shades of grey.
Realpolitik is the way things are run. Good and evil aren't as strong and obvious as in the realms.

I just read a biography of Queen Isabella by Alison Weir. That was a harsh reminder that D&D politics, no matter how convoluted and twisted one makes them, can't hold a candle to the real world. She was the daughter of probably the most powerful king at the time (Philip IV of France); married a man (King Edward II) that ignored her and repeatedly promoted his favorites to positions of incredible power which they promptly abused; she left him only to return and enlist the English nobility in a popular revolution, placing her underage son (King Edward III) on the throne instead; ruled the kingdom as regent and advanced HER favorite only to have him perpetuate the same sort of abuses she'd overthrown her husband for; and then (spoiler!) have her son launch, in essence, a coup against her in the name of justice and law.

GameDoc

Explorer
I may get flamed by some of the true believers but I think part of the reason Greyhawk has struggled to appeal to those who came later to D&D is presentation. Reading Ed Greenwood's (via Elminster) introduction to Forgotten Realms in the boxed sets felt like reading the prologue to a great adventure novel. Most of the books I've read as a means of introducing the Greyhawk setting read more like a very dry history textbook. Greyhawk is not a bland setting by any means, but it's sales pitch has been.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I may get flamed by some of the true believers but I think part of the reason Greyhawk has struggled to appeal to those who came later to D&D is presentation. Reading Ed Greenwood's (via Elminster) introduction to Forgotten Realms in the boxed sets felt like reading the prologue to a great adventure novel. Most of the books I've read as a means of introducing the Greyhawk setting read more like a very dry history textbook. Greyhawk is not a bland setting by any means, but it's sales pitch has been.
I don't think you would get much argument that the sales pitch for forgotten realms has been more intense than for Greyhawk since 2nd edition. I also wouldn't disagree with your analysis of the different approaches to the world. The Greyhawk campaign material with the map is presented as if it was written by an in world historical scholar. For me that is part of the charm. However, my view of why post 2e has had forgotten realms be the number 1 popular setting is that it is more to do with quantity rather than quality of presentation. But I like it that way as well - it means collecting all the stuff is not to expensive and leaves lots of space for my campaigns to explore.

Here's a slightly off topic question from a guy who understands the love of Greyhawk ( which IMO has been explained in the above posts). Why the love for Ravenloft? I mean no disrespect and I get the odd horror module set in a campaign world but when I read the Ravenloft setting about 20+ years ago it just seemed a bit of a disjointed monster of the week setting. What's the appeal?

Hawkwind

Explorer
this blog interview of Joseph Bloch aka "Greyhawk Grognard" suggests that something is up Q: Tell me about these plans for 5e publishing! How far along are you at actually being able to get it to happen? What exactly does 'hinting' mean? I assume nothing is signed, so are you in serious negotiations or is it just something someone said in a random email to you? If you get a license just what would you publish? Greyhawk?

A: Well, Wizards themselves have announced that *some* sort of license is on the horizon (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/gazing-crystal-ball), to be announced this Fall. So just based on that, I think a 5th Edition version of Castle of the Mad Archmage is a given, assuming the license that they eventually announce allows for it. I've got some other, more conventional, adventures in the planning stages as well, contingent on the final form of that license. As for anything else, we'll all have to wait and see what other goodies Wizards' includes in the license. Greyhawk? It would be a dream come true. But Mike Mearls did say "...we want to empower D&D fans to create their own material and make their mark on the many, exciting worlds of D&D..." So I remain "cautiously optimistic," to coin a phrase.

Q: so you haven't actually spoken to anyone at Wizards about it?

A: I am under an NDA, and unfortunately cannot comment further on the subject.

http://therpgpundit.blogspot.co.uk/

Remove ads