• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grim and Gritty Penetration values

ErichDragon

First Post
In the Grim n' Gritty rules there is a small box of optional penetration values for common weapons. I think it should encompass more weapons than it does. My question then; "Has anyone worked out penetration values for the entire list of core weapons"?

Also, my plan is to run a campaign in a slightly modified, although mostly historical, France during the 100 years war. Obviously there will be no few gnome hooked hammers, dwarven waraxes and orc double axes. I was thinking of making the Longbow an exotic weapon due to the historical importance it played in the time period. How should I increase the properties to make it worth it to take the longbow. I definitely want the weapon used by the PC's but want to let them choose to take it because it is valuable. I was thinking penetration value as above? Any suggestions?

Crothian

First Post
Is there a place I can find grim and gritty other then asgard? I have a hard time manipulating pdf's for easy use.

uv23

First Post
So I'm finally taking a look at this system and two thimgs come ot mind. 1) This is the system I might have always wanted but 2) I wonder if its too complicated.

Has anyone used it extensively? Does it flow or does it chug during gameplay? Is it balanced? Do characters die far too easily? Give me your opinions. (sorry to hijack the thread) :)

ErichDragon

First Post
No problem with the highjack. I don't think it will be cumbersome for me for a couple of reasons.

1. The active defense should keep the players involved in every stage of the combat, avoiding the lags when the DM starts to figure enemy movement, attack rolls etc.

2. Almost by default, a Grim n' Gritty campaign has to be low in magic. That was the biggest rhythm killer in my previous campaigns, especially at higher level. My rules allow for subtle and rare magic only and every spellcaster functions like a sorceror so they have a limited selection of spells at their disposal, thus making it easier to memorize spell effects.

I plan on simplifying the wound rules to set proportions of total hit points instead of current. The only actual part of the rules I see as complicating game play are the penetration values. That is why I was curious how others have handled them in their campaigns.

See, it wasn't really a highjack at all ;)

uv23

First Post
I guess one thing that bothers me about G&G is the whole penetration system. Its like a partial throwback to armor resistances versus different kind of weapons, except that it only takes penetrating weapons into account. Weren't blunt weapons like maces and so forth much more effective against plate armor than swords, because of internal injuries?

Fade

First Post
The problem with the Penetration system is that it is unbalanced. Compare a longsword (P0) and a heavy pick (P6). Average damage of the sword, 4.5. Average damage of the pick, 3.5. Thus they do equal damage against padded armour and against anything heavier (leather and above) the pick is always superior. Plus it has a better critical. Historically, weren't picks only used against plate?

ErichDragon

First Post
I've got to bump this back up for more opinions. Surely someone has run a campaign out there using these rules and has some insight into Penetration values??

Wilson, I appreciate you spreadsheet, but don't you find that no one uses any weapons other than piercing anymore? Alot of those Penetration values are pretty high.

I was thinking on nixing the whole thing for simplicity, but want to make a more informed decision.

Thanks!

Remove ads