• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guildmaster's Guide = Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes 2.0?!

dave2008

Legend
I have only just started it, but the races seem...innovative, kind of like Volo's (first official nonhumanoid PC race in 5e if I am not mistaken is in the GRR). I do like the NPC classes that I have read so far (I am going to use the Firefist for the Firre celestial eladrin).

I should get into the meat of the fluff shortly.

I just bought a copy and hope to get into it more over the weekend.

Eis

Explorer
a guy in our group is a big time Magic player and he's really excited to run a Ravnica campaign for us....its pretty fun seeing how pumped he is about it and its rubbing off on us as well

dave2008

Legend
a guy in our group is a big time Magic player and he's really excited to run a Ravnica campaign for us....its pretty fun seeing how pumped he is about it and its rubbing off on us as well

That's cool. I have no desire to run a Ravnica campaign, but I like all of the material I can use in my own campaign.

pukunui

Legend
As I said, YMMV, but it has proven successful in the market, and is the model moving forwards.
I know, and I, for one, am disappointed. WotC might regard it as a “less is more” approach, but I’m only seeing a “less is less” model. The Ravnica setting material seems more like gloss than anything else. I don’t like the idea of having to buy an expensive art book in order to get more setting info.

That said, the hyper-focused theme of this book is a welcome change after the random grab bags that were Xanathar’s and Mordenkainen’s.

Last edited:

Eis

Explorer
That's cool. I have no desire to run a Ravnica campaign, but I like all of the material I can use in my own campaign.

that's where I am too....I won't ever run a Ravnica campaign but it is always cool to have more stuff to crib from in my book

hehe in my book....i get it...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I know, and I, for one, am disappointed. WotC might regard it as a “less is more” approach, but I’m only seeing a “less is less” model. The Ravnica setting material seems more like gloss than anything else. I don’t like the idea of having to buy an expensive art book in order to get more setting info.

That said, the hyper-focused theme of this book is a welcome change after the random grab bags that were Xanathar’s and Mordenkainen’s.

I've enjoyed the random grab bags and the more focused book (but still high level). I appreciate the blank spaces as much as the detail, really.

pukunui

Legend
I've enjoyed the random grab bags and the more focused book (but still high level). I appreciate the blank spaces as much as the detail, really.
I’m happy for you and wish I could feel the same way. I love the 5e system but am feeling increasingly dissatisfied with WotC’s support of it.

dave2008

Legend

Maybe since I am not familiar with Ravnica I don't share this feeling. I have only gotten through about 1/4 of the book so far and I feel I've gotten more than enough of the setting to a run campaign in it. And that is just from reading the monster and NPC entries! I see no need for another book.

dave2008

Legend
I’m happy for you and wish I could feel the same way. I love the 5e system but am feeling increasingly dissatisfied with WotC’s support of it.

What more support would you like to see. Personally I kinda wish they would stop making material and just let it rest a bit. I feel like they are verging on to much "support" at this point.

Remove ads