Half Elemental Template on a Genasi? or half Celestial on an Aasimar?

Albert_Fish

First Post
Now this might have been discussed before but my players and i have been plying around with uber characters.
One of my players wants to use a PRC created by Carpe DM ( somewhere on this site...i think) that basically turns you into a half Celestial Eventually.
Well my player says "why wait, i wanna play one now!" and i says....NO! but i take a look at both the aasimar and the half-celestial template to see what goodies he is looking for and if i cant keep him happy by letting him play an aasimar.
Well i dont have the stats with me but when i mentioned he could (by the rules) play an aasimar/Half-Celestial Template he frothed at the mouth.
Should such combinations be allowed?
Are they, as i assume, two different types of creauters thus the Template is applicable to the Aasimar base creature?
The bonuses would be horrendous but might make for an interesting option at a later level (after he inevitabley kills off this character as well.

Krishnath

First Post
As a DM with his mind rooted in science, I would not recommend it. Let him have his choice of either an Aasimar or a Half-Celestial not both, munchkinism should be stopped at the earliest possible time, not to mention that it is genetically impossible.

Devon

First Post
Rules lawyering aside, let's look at it logically.

Aasimar are a little part celestial by definition (maybe 1/16th or less, by the spirit of the race description). If it had enough celestial blood to be 'half-celestial,' then the blood it would take to be an aasimar would be arguably irrelevant. It would just be marginally more 'half-celestial' than the child of a mortal and a celestial.

If an aasimar mated with a celestial (an assumption for this discussion), I think it would simply be 'half-celestial,' with the small bit of celestial blood from the aasimar being overshadowed by the greater glory of the celestial mate's energy.

More than enough to disqualify the aasimar/half-celestial combo, I would imagine.

Now an aasimar mating with a fiend would be a different story... (why did I open my big mouth!)

Devon

Pale

First Post
I would rule that an Aasimar/Fiend crossing would result in a Half-Fiend. The fiend blood would override that small amount of Celestial. Perhaps it would express itself with a celestial physical trait, but I would rule out any difference in game mechanics.

MythandLore

First Post
Meh, M-E-H, Meh,
I don't see a problem, His ECL is higher so it's no big, I say let him if he wants.
The redundancy doesn't stack for the most part so he'd be kinda stupid to do it. :)

Let him make a Aasimar/Half-Celestial/Celestial for all I care, what a waste of ECL.

You should be thinking Celestial/Half-dragon/Vampire/Genasi.
Well... Something like that. ;)

ruleslawyer

By the rules, it's possible. Logically, it's not. A half-celestial astral deva is also "legal" by the rules, but common sense dictates against it.

Using the Seraph PrC (the one you were thinking of) is a different story. There, the character is really unlocking the celestial potential in himself, which is then represented by the application of the half-celestial template. No big deal.

Devon

First Post
Well, WotC made a precedent which may support this sort of thing.

In their Fight Club forum, one of their writers applied the Half-dragon template to a Dragonkin (a Monstrous Humanoid from MoF), and then followed up by making it a Dracolich (since it would have the "dragon" type.

So, yeah, great.

- Devon

Krishnath

First Post
Ah, but you fail to take into account that the dragon-kin is not as closely related to true dragons as the aasimar is to celestials. The only real trace of dragon-blood left in Dragon-kin is the occassional sorcerer, much like with Kobolds and Urds. They're seperated from true dragons by millions of years of evolution.

Remove ads